This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Whose Fault Is It?


"You know, bein' the Commander Guy is hard work, and Tony is Commander Guy in England, except they've got a queen, which is kind of like having a mom you can't tell to shut up. So we have that in common.

"Everybody said I wanted to go to war, and they blame me. But if you remember the sixteen words I got in trouble for in the 2003 State of the Union, what I said was "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." You may not know that the British and the English are really the same. Isn't that interesting? So if they hadn't learned it, I wouldn't have said it.

"Also, there were some things called the Downing Street Memos. You know, Tony works on Downing Street, not me. I work on Pennsyvanial Street [sic]. Heh, heh."

(Photo from the official White House website. Quote is completely made up, except that the italicized part, which are the infamous sixteen words from the 2003 SOTU.)

And with that, let's go to this Friday's Random 10+1.

Half Heaven Gene Pitney
Ask the Lonely Vonda Shephard
Johnsburg, Illinois Tom Waits
Where’s My Everything Nick Lowe
Handful Of Keys Fats Waller
Diamonds Are Forever Shirley Bassey
Caught By The Fuzz Supergrass
I Think We’re Alone Now Lene Lovich
Crows In The Garden Rafael Boguslav
Something’s Got A Hold On Me Etta James
and bonus track
Bald Head Professor Longhair

The most obscure artist here is Rafael Boguslav. The song is from an album of folk tunes called Songs From a Village Garret, which he recorded about fifty years ago. Mr. Boguslav sang and played the guitar and lute on this album. I had the album when I was a kid and was able to find a used copy on eBay last year. I also found Mr. Boguslav via the Internets and had an e-mail pen pal situation going on. He was also a concert pianist and made his living for many years as a graphic artist. He designed some fonts that people still use, and made the logos for New York Life and the IRS. Very cool guy.

Let me close with the refrain from Crows in the Garden.

This busy busy world is full of crows,
Money is the corn that's sure to grow.
Once they catch you napping then away it goes
With a merry little ha, ha, ha!

No comments: