Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Another Actress I Love

Here is a nice picture of Sandra Oh. Sometimes she dresses all girly on the red carpet, but other times like this she dresses like somebody who is just hangin' out, bein' cool and, oh yeah, is expected to show up at movie premiere or something.

Sandra Oh is adorable. I'm very glad to see her career is taking off, though I haven't seen all the stuff she has been in. I first saw her on the HBO comedy Arli$$, which was about a scumbag sports agent, though I repeat myself. On the show, she plays Rita, the office manager for the sports agent and the only character that has any morals whatsoever. Besides being likable and pretty, she showed she's a good comic actress. I have seen Sideways, which I didn't like very much, but that wasn't her fault. I haven't seen Under the Tuscan Sun or Grey's Anatomy. The first one was a little too chick flicky for me, and I've never watched any medical drama for very long.


Sandra Oh has also been in several small budget Canadian films, especially early in her career. Last Night is a movie about how people will spend the last few hours on earth before a meteor hits. If it were an American film, someone would be in a space ship, going to intercept the meteor and blow it up. You may infer that this shows some fundamental difference in the mentality of Americans vs. Canadians. I will not stop you from reaching this conclusion.

I liked Last Night. I think it's my favorite film Sandra Oh has been in, and as I stated earlier, I love Sandra Oh, though not in a make a shrine in my bedroom and plan to stalk her sort of way. I'm either too busy or too lazy for that sort of thing.

Matty Boy says check it out.

9 comments:

FranIAm said...

While leaving the enshrinement duties to you, if you ever decide to do them, I will simply chime in on the topic of this fine actress.

The first time I saw Sandra Oh was in a 1994 lovely Canadian film called Double Happiness. Get thee to your netflix or whatever your source. It is sweet and you can see what talent she has.

I never saw Last Night but I will get me to netflix poste haste. Sounds good.

As for Under The Tuscan Sun I must unashamedly promote this film. Oh it is more than a chick flick I can assure you. It is a Fran favorite.

First of all- Diane Lane. If anyone out there has seen "Ladies and Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains"?

This 1981 cult classic stars Diane and is MUST see material. However I have already strayed far off topic...

The main character in Tuscan Sun (a film that boldly bares almost no resemblance to the book for good or ill) is named Frances, has just come out of a baaaad relationship and her lesbian best friend Sandra Oh and her partner give her a trip to Italy.

Sandra is great in this best friend role.

And might I point out that at the time that the movie came out, someone named Frances with a broken heart and lots of gay friends more some similarities to moi.

This comment is already too long but long live Sandra Oh!

Matty Boy said...

I saw some of Double Happiness on IFC recently. I definitely need to fill up my Netflix stuff, so I will put it on the list.

jolie said...

hiya matty boy, I came by at fran's suggestion - I'm a regular reader of PSP's most excellent work and believe I've seen you there, too.

how fun to find your site! I love your stuff!

will definitely check out the sandra oh catalog. she's one of the more watchable characters on grey's which I watch because my college-age daughter does so we can talk about it (oh how we sacrifice for our children ...).

cheers to all,

jolie

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I have loved Ms. Oh from afar for lo these many years. It's a shit movie but she's also good in Dancing at the Blue Iguana. And there's lots of naked boobies in it too.

sfmike said...

"Under The Tuscan Sun" was almost a parody of a Chick Flick, and though I loved every frame as I tend to love every frame in a lot of Chick Flicks ("Clueless" is still the best!), the movie on any objective level was really terrible. And Sandra Oh, who I also like, was skin-crawlingly awful as the sympathetic "lesbian best friend." Watching the movie, I felt sorry for both lesbians and Sandra.

Diane Lane, as always, was a goddess.

FranIAm said...

It was probably awful sfmike, but like I said, it worked for me at the time. If not for all the gay men and lesbians to hold me up at the time, I wouldn't be here blogging like a fool and finally happy at last.

And yes... Clueless remains a classic.

Matty Boy said...

I am not immune to the thrill of a chick flick. I love Stage Door! Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Eve Arden. There's as much estrogen in Stage Door as there is testosterone in The Magnificent Seven, another film I love.

Also wild about All About Eve.

As for modern chick flicks, the pickings are slim for me. I did love Emma Thompson's version of Sense and Sensibility, and I would argue that all the heroic roles in Gosford Park are female. Of course, we could say these are really Brit costume dramas instead of chick flicks, but in either case, A-Number-1-Tip-Top!

For good old Amurican chick flicks from the modern era, I am currently drawing a blank.

FranIAm said...

Stage Door! Is it possible for me to become even more fond of you Matt?

Then you type - All About Eve and I discover, yes, it is more possible.

What a great post you came up with here; generating such comment and conversation.

Thank you!

Jess Wundrun said...

Best chick flick o' the modern era?

Steel Magnolias. Allright, quit laughing, will you. Please. Will you?

It has this line by Olympia Dukakis: "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize" and the one I still use: "I love you more than my luggage".

Olympia Dukakis, Shirley Maclaine and Dolly Parton. C'mon.