Saturday, June 23, 2007

Do you want to see second prize? Second prize is steak knives.

What's third prize? Third prize is you're fired!

Many years ago, I saw the original Broadway cast version of Glengarry Glen Ross when the tour stopped in San Francisco. These were Mamet's people: Joe Mantegna, Robert Prosky, J.T. Walsh, Mike Nussbaum (who sounded so much like my salesman Uncle Bill it was eerie when I closed my eyes). It was a great time in the theater for me.

Several years later, the movie version was made. Written by Mamet, but not directed by him. Unfairly or not, I compared the people I saw on stage to the people on the screen, and I thought the stage version superior. The only major change was the addition of a scene, a motivational speech by a character played by Alec Baldwin.

Over the years, I have had a chance to see the film version again, especially on IFC with no editing and no commercial interruptions. The movie is very good. The scene with Baldwin is freaking genius. One of the things that makes it genius is that you get to see Alec Baldwin make Ed Harris his bitch. Think about Harris' career. He is almost always the manly man, the guy in charge, sometimes in a violent way, but more often by force of will. He played John Glenn, for pity's sake! Baldwin bitch slaps him hard, and he takes it.

Who's the rest of the cast? Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey and Jonathan Pryce.

Matty Boy says check it out.

And, oh yeah. Coffee is for closers.

3 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I saw it when is hit video years ago and I saw it the other night on IFC and it still is one of the most powerful films I ever saw. Incidently, I used to work in sales and every salesman I know can quote that Alec Baldwin line, it's freaking classic and its a metaphor for our world today with out of control multi national corps running crazy on us.

FranIAm said...

Netflix here I come...

Metaphor, it is upon us I fear.

If coffee is for closers, and that idiot is the decider, then I will gladly give up coffee to be The Opener!

Jess Wundrun said...

I don't remember the film as well as you guys except that I recall thinking that Lemmon's performance in it was the best of his career.