Thursday, June 21, 2007

Separated at Birth, Vol. 2


This is Amy Winehouse, a singer from the U.K. who has a new album out. I've seen the videos for a few of her songs, including You Know I'm No Good, a dirge-like tune in which she calmly explains that she is going to sleep with an old boyfriend or two, though it won't make her feel any better. The latest song climbing the charts is a perkier offering entitled Rehab, which has this lyric at the beginning of the chorus:

They tried to make me go to rehab, I said no, no, no.



This is Devil Girl, a creation of the famous cartoonist R. Crumb. She was first introduced back in the 1970's, where she was the girlfriend of Mr. Natural for a short time, but also hooked up with other characters in Crumb's universe. It never ended well. Her likeness was used in the past few years on the label for Devil Girl Choco-Bar, which sets a high standard for truth in advertising.

The late comedian Richard Jeni has one of my favorite observations on dating. "At least Charles Manson has the decency to look crazy from the moment you meet him."

Not to contradict Mr. Jeni, but sometimes both men and women will walk into a situation when the danger signs are clearly marked and flashing red.

Still, that girl Amy seems nice. I wonder if she's seeing anybody?

3 comments:

FranIAm said...

Matty- the answer is always no if you don't ask!

Find her and ask away!

She'd be the fool to say no.

Karla said...

Matthew - put down the Devil Girl and back away from her.

Don't make eye contact or any sudden moves. Hum tunelessly, as if you're calm and engaged in something else.

I'll be outside with the car running.

Jess Wundrun said...

You're switching teams for that? Well, actually I could see it.

But you're such a nice boy. (I pinch your cheek)

And I think she must be really smart, too, cuz' with all the celebuchicks going in and out of rehab, I'm sure she's in heavy rotation on all the gals' diamond encrusted i-pods. Big dollar sweet sixteen parties are coming her way.

There is no marketing like crass marketing!