Monday, June 11, 2007

Tagged by Padre Mickey once again

Once again, Padre Mickey has been tagged to spread a meme, and he tagged me in response. Here is what I am tasked to do.

1. I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
2. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. (You’re not the boss of me!)
5. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.


A. I won $25,550 on JEOPARDY! in 1985. To answer the most asked questions, a) No I don’t have any of the money left and b) Alex Trebek seemed like a decent guy to me.


B. Also in the 1980’s, I wrote video games for Atari, Activision, Electronic Arts and other companies. My favorite game that I wrote was Zenji.



C. I used to be in a band called The Wonders Of Science. I sang and played the synthesizer. I wrote a lot of the tunes, as did Padre Mickey, the guy what tagged me.

D. When I was a little kid, the first song I wrote was called Baby Baboon. It went like this:

Baby Baboon, buh-buh-Baby Baboon,
Buh-buh-Baby Baboon, buh-buh-Baby Baboon!
Baby Baboon, buh-buh-Baby Baboon,
Buh-buh-Baby Ba-boon boon boon!

Yes, I was influenced by Stephen Sondheim, though I also appreciated the world weary wordplay of Lorenz Hart. (If I do say so myself, the tune was really catchy; had I used it as a video game theme, the entire world might be humming Baby Baboon to this day, though they wouldn’t know there were actually lyrics.)

E. I’m not gay, but I am queer. This picture explains my oddness to some extent.


F. I love playing board games, which are much more social than video games.

G. My caffeine delivery system is Diet Pepsi. Gots to have my Diet Pepsi.



H. With 15 tetrahedron shaped simplices, I constructed a 3-dimensional surface in 4-dimensional space that is not homeomorphic to a 4-dimensional sphere. That’s the minimum number that will do the job. I drew the graph that corresponds to this, where each dot represents a tetrahedron and a line between two dots means the tetrahedrons they represent share a triangular face.

Just sayin’.

I can't seriously tag eight other bloggers, but I can tag my blog buddies SFMike, Dr. Monkerstein and Fran, who posts on a diary on Daily Kos under the name Lente Festina. You have been warned.

5 comments:

sfmike said...

Dear matty boy: You may be the first person to tag me with a meme in the two years I've been doing "Civic Center," and good for you. Still, my blog has its own weird integrity which you'll understand once you've been doing your own for a while, and it doesn't involve memes or even a blogroll or all kinds of niceties that other fabulous people include.

Still, your eight random facts are fascinating, so may I please comment on them instead?

1. I played in a gay tennis group in San Francisco in the 1980s and my best doubles partner was a guy named "Christopher Walkey" who also appeared on "Jeopardy" in the 1980s and made about $10,000 and got to the third or fourth day before he missed an easy answer ("The Philippines, and I knew it for Christ's sake"). How many days did you do for the $25,550?

2. I went to San Francisco State's Multimedia School in the early 1990s when it was new and exciting and paid for it by being a teaching assistant. The best friend I made out of the school was a brilliant young artist professor named Barbara Mehlman who used to work for Atari in the 1980s. Did you know her?

3. I have nothing but envy for those who can write and perform music. God gave me lots of gifts, but that isn't one of them.

4. The Baby Baboon lyrics are quite beautiful and I prefer Hart to Sondheim.

5. I'm not sure how to interpret the picture, but I understand the sentiment. I think I'm the opposite, a gay man who likes straight men but not for sex. (As my late friend Don Giulietti, who was mass murdererer Charles Ng's last victim once said, "I'm not into straight men sexually, I'm into closet cases. It's a whole different thing.") I was a gay activist as a young person in the 1970s in San Francisco, and now I tend to prefer the company of straight men. Not for sex, just for friendship. The fact that where the two of us met [virtually] was at Princess Sparkle Pony's Photo Blog says it all.

6. The only board game I played with any regularity was "Risk" while working at Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley as a teenager. I was terrible at it because I tended to fall in love with my individual countries and not be ruthless enough.

7. My caffeine delivery system is coffee. Two cups in the morning and that's it. Thank god it's a habit to which I've never been seriously addicted, such as alcohol (a duller roar these days), tobacco (which I gave up cold turkey about 7 years ago), or marijuana (my version of an antidepressant).

8. I bought Thomas Pynchon's "Against The Day" on the day it was published last fall and stumbled into an online book club that decided to get through the book about 40 pages a week at a time. It's called "The Chumps of Choice" and it's a great group of about a dozen dudes. We're up to about page 700 out of 1,100, and the book is essentially the greatest fictional delineation of "4-dimensional space" issues ever written. If you're not reading it, check it out.

Thanks for the meme.

Fran said...

Matty Matty Matty, you little scoundrel! I am secretly honored to be tagged by you.

SF Mike has done a great job of revisiting your eight fact with his own.

Brilliant.

I shall return with my meme and a link to my blogspot blog which is, if I don't mind sayin' so, virgin territory!

Matty Boy said...

Hey, Mike, I know Christopher Walkey as well! He was roommates with Mina Vanderberg back in the eighties. I dated Mina for a while and we were pals for many years after that, so I crossed paths with Chris many times at parties and such, including seeing him as The Lord High Executioner in The Lamplighter's production of The Mikado a couple years back. He was terrific.

Sadly, the last time I saw Chris was at Mina's memorial service last year, which he organized. He did a great job with it. If you talk to him about her, I'm sure he will say what all of us who knew Mina will say. She was as remarkable a person as you will ever meet, and we miss her every day.

As to the other questions:

I was on JEOPARDY! for three days and lost on the fourth.

I can't place the name Barbara Mehlman, though our paths may have crossed at Atari. I left for Activision at about the time when Atari started hiring a lot of graphic artists.

As for for the picture accompanying letter E, people who read Princess Sparkle Pony will know that I comment regularly, but I never miss a chance to comment on any Ursula Plassnik thread. This is not mere coincidence. (This is also why I included Public Humiliation as a label.)

Thanks for the comment and keep up the good work over at Civic Center.

FranIAm said...

The deed is done. I am feeling rather humbled, but as ever, I persevere!

http://festinalente-franiam.blogspot.com/

Veronica said...

Hey Matthew!
I've been trying to find an email address for you, no luck.
Can you write me back at minimalwave(at)gmail.com ?
Thanks :)
Veronica