Monday, August 13, 2007

Breaking news! (But not good news.)

You have probably heard by now that Karl Rove is quitting the White House effective August 31. The official reason is that Bush has decided that anyone working as of Labor Day 2007 has to stay until the end of the term. If this reason sounds like absolute bullshit to you, you will be glad to know that you aren't alone.

I've been staying away from the news in general on this blog because it's been so monumentally depressing. Collapsing bridges, collapsing coal mines, collapsing credit market, collapsing Congressional Democratic spines. We're a third world country without a 4th Amendment to the Constitution. Whether Karl Rove is working in the White House or not is irrelevant to the situation on the ground, and it will be eighteen long months until someone is in the White House who actually gives a rat's ass whether these problems get solved or not.

Believe it or not, Rove was about the only counterbalance to Cheney that existed in the White House. Rove was about making things work politically, playing to the base. Cheney is about naked power grabbing. They don't have to worry about an election. For the first time since 1928, this election will not involve a sitting president or vice-president, and even in 1928, the Republican candidate Herbert Hoover had been a member of the incumbent's cabinet. Without having to worry about the next election cycle, and having shown in 2006 that they really don't care that much about the rest of the Republican Party as long as they can keep enough votes to uphold any veto, we are about to see the Cheney presidency in full ascent.

As far as I can see, that means war with Iran.

Now you can see why I've been sticking to cartoons, math and Indira Varma. It's easier to stay positive that way.

p.s. Odd experiment. If you have a Google textbar in your browser, clear your search history. If you type in "george w", it will prompt you with George Washington, George W Bush, George Will, George Wallace, etc. If you type in "dick c", no prompt. Nothing. According to Google, Dick Cheney is a phantom that no one would ever want to Google, at least according to my browser. Creepy.

7 comments:

FranIAm said...

I just commented over at Jess' but will say more or less the same here. Let me start with something not said there... Matty,your creepily chosen photos, however apt, are really freaking me out! I think that means great job but in an assbackwards sort of way.

Yes, there was a time when I would have found this great news. The whole business no matter who stays or goes makes me ill.

And Iran, Iran. I feel sick.

And that google thing! Yikes!

Satan walks among us and he is a real Dick.

Jess Wundrun said...

I tried your test, too.

Did you notice "Dick C. Normous"?

Splotchy said...

Wow, nice blog! I found it by clicking through jess wudrun's lovely blog.

Anyone who can combine pungent social commentary with quirky Google searches is okay in my book.

Consider yourself blogrolled.

Matty Boy said...

Thanks for noticing, Fran. I got both Karl and Dick in their happiest moments. That it looks like they are eating babies is, I am sure, merely a trick of the light.

Jess, I think it's just a coincidence, albeit a creepy one. Google doesn't want to give you any help when you are hunting for dick.

Thanks, Splotchy! I'm planning on joining your Adopt an Actor family later this week. I'll drop a comment on your blog when I do so.

Distributorcap said...

dick needs a teeth bleaching

dguzman said...

Cheney looks like he's showing his fangs to the media, just in case anyone wanted to ask a REAL question (as if).

As for your google discovery, I think you've probably been added to a watch list for even attempting to find out more about Big Dick. Expect everything from your file at work to your underwear drawer to be raided shortly.... Of course, now I've just been added to the same list for even mentioning it.

KELSO'S NUTS said...

Well, the ball's now in Howard Dean's side of the net. Dean HAS to make Rove a big offer to jump ship. But I'll have more to say on this over the The Nuts