Monday, August 27, 2007

Really good movie. Don't rent it. (Yet.)

Zodiac, the movie about the serial killer in San Francisco in the 1970s is now available on DVD. It's directed by David Fincher and has an excellent ensemble cast, including Mark Ruffalo as Detective Dave Toschi (pictured here on the left), Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr. in the major roles, and a supporting cast that includes Anthony Edwards, Brian Cox, Chloe Sevigny, Phillip Baker Hall, Adam Goldberg (guy in the tie in the picture), Dermot Mulroney (back to camera), Donal Logue, James Le Gros and Charles Fleischer. As I have said before, I like movies and TV shows based on historical events with attention to detail concerning the period. I saw the movie in the theater when it came out and rented it as soon as it was available on DVD.

The first thing on the DVD is an ad for Zodiac: The Director's Cut, which will be available next year on DVD. The version you can rent now has no extra features whatsoever. I recommend you save your money (or if you have Netflix, save the position in your queue) and wait until the version with the cool optional extras is available.

4 comments:

Splotchy said...

How about questionably legal downloads?

I'd say it's justified on the grounds of the advertising you witnessed.

It's like buying a tube of toothpaste that has fine print which reads, "This product is for shit! But wait until you try our toothpaste that works!"

Matty Boy said...

Well, I didn't actually buy this version, it just used up time I could have had a useful DVD at home via Netflix. I give this warning to help those who might be interested, and I consider the film interesting.

I'm old fashioned (read: ALL YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!), so I can't recommend illegal downloads. That's just me.

sfmike said...

Watched the first half of the movie the other night and returned it immediately the next morning to the video store because it genuinely creeped me out. The Lake Berryessa double murder was bad enough, but the Modesto woman and her baby scene was some kind of last straw.

Adding to the ugliness was the careful attention paid to period details, including the awful clothes and hairstyles and interior lighting. The late 60s/70s in San Francisco were filled with all kinds of madness, from the Zodiac to the Zebra killings to the SLA mayhem to the People's Temple to the Moscone/Milk murders. I don't think we'll ever know how much of this bad theatre was intentionally manufactured by the crazier arms of our government. I've heard good conspiracy theories about all of them and wouldn't put it past the Nixon/Ford administrations to have instigated at least some of them. And there's your paranoid thought for the day.

Matty Boy said...

I'm not a fan of slasher movies, but this one didn't creep me out as much as it did for sfmike. Me, I L-O-V-E the awful clothes, hairstyles and interior lighting, if done correctly. I also loved the attention to detail to police methods and forensic science at the time, which is Stone Age stuff compared to today. The fact that two of the murders took place within weeks of each other a few miles apart up in Modesto, but one was investigated by the city cops and the other was a county matter and the two departments hadn't talked to each other is a very telling point.

I love your blog, mike, as I hope you know by your place on my blog pal list, but on this movie and the acting career of Chuck Norris, I must respectfully disagree.