Monday, September 24, 2007

Has Russell Crowe done lost his mind?

(Pssst! Matty Boy! That's not Russell Crowe!)

[I know. Stay with me for a sec.]


The late Andreas Katsulas was one of those actors who really got into character. According to Peter Jurasik, who played Londo on Babylon 5, if you wanted to talk to Andreas to discuss plans for getting together on the weekend, for example, you had a few minutes in the morning before he got in the make-up chair and then a little while at the end of shooting when all that makeup was removed. For the rest of the day, G'Kar was available but Andreas was somewhere else.

I bring this up because I saw the new version of 3:10 to Yuma this weekend, starring Russell Crowe as the main bad guy Ben Wade and Christian Bale as a poor rancher who decides to join the group of men hired to put this guy on the prison train. It's a pretty good movie, with what you expect in a Western, gorgeous vistas and grimy close-ups. While I enjoyed it, I did spend a lot of time with my friend Art after the movie discussing plot points. Usually, you don't discuss plot points in Westerns, as they are clear as rain water. You discuss plot points in thrillers or mysteries, maybe science fiction. Westerns... not so much.

But the point I want to make is separate from the relative merits of the film. I always stay for the credits. In the modern credits, there are often Assistant to..., with the names of the actors or director. In this movie, there were credits including

Make-up to Ben Wade
Dialect coach to Ben Wade
Assistant to Ben Wade
Driver to Ben Wade
etc.

Not to Russell Crowe, mind you. To Ben Wade. Killer Ben Wade needed a dialect coach. Outlaw Ben Wade needed make-up. Fictional character Ben Wade needed a driver. Christian Bale also had some personal assistants but they were listed as "Assistant to C. Bale", etc.

You know. The way normal people would list the folks that help them. The way that has been done for generations by people who haven't done lost their minds!

Just sayin'.

4 comments:

Splotchy said...

This reminds me of the time I was walking in downtown Chicago and saw a large crew filming a movie, which turned out to be for Batman Begins. I saw Christian Bale's trailer, though on the door it said "Bruce Wayne".

Maybe Crowe was just trying to one-up him.

On a completely unrelated note, your Green Monkey Mix file is ready for your review, if you like.

http://www.badongo.net/file/4457643

Send me an email and let me know if it's okay, if you'd like.

Splotchy said...

Also, feel free to use the phrase "if you like", if you like.

Karla said...

Russell Crowe - can't watch the dude! What a wanker!

Try as I might, I could not find the funny movie lolz where someone took the Master and Commander poster, where Crowe's fce was bigger than the entire ship:

http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/master_and_commander_the_far_side_of_the_world.jpg

And added the tag: Actual Size.

Mwahahahahahah

dguzman said...

what a loser.

only thing that could make it worse: if he tries to make an album of Ben Wade's favorite country songs.