This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Hugger in Chief


"There's only one person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others hug but having committed the troops, I've got an additional responsibility to hug and that's me and I know what it's like."

George W. Bush, December 11, 2002

Well, that was five years ago, when we only had one war. The hugger in chief, he loves to hug so much, he decided to start another war and make his term in office one long hug fest.


But more than just the hugs, we also get the lies. About a week ago, USA Today had the story of an extra 20,000 brain injuries from our huggable little wars that somehow hadn't been put on the books.

Have 30,000 people been injured in battle in Iraq and Afghanistan? Actually, that's just the official number. It's closer to 50,000.

Are we really near spending half a trillion dollars on these wars, as the counter over at FranIAm's blog reminds us daily? No, that number is a lie, too. Honest accounting would put the cost well over a trillion dollars, with no way of putting a good estimate on the final costs.

How many soldiers and vets have committed suicide? The official numbers, when you can find them, might be lowballing those totals, too. I believe that the numbers of the dead Americans are probably the only accurate numbers we get from these wars, that they can't be hiding dead bodies of Americans who have loved ones at home waiting. Not wanting to be a conspiracy theorist, I now have to wonder if I have instead been naive.


There's only one person who lies to the mothers and the widows, the wives and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others lie but having committed the troops, Bush has an additional responsibility to lie and that's him and he knows what it's like.



Who do these guys remind me of? It's on the tip of my tongue.

4 comments:

dguzman said...

I hate it when he talks like this, as if he even gives a shit. I remember during the Kerry debates when he talked about praying with a mother who'd lost her son in Iraq and how he "teared up with her" and such. Makes me sick to even think of him.

Matty Boy said...

I sometimes wonder what it is like inside his head. I think he thinks things are great and people just misunderstand.

In the past, when people called him a fuck-up at school or in his business dealings or when he was drinking and using drugs, he had to listen to them, but he hated it.

Now he's president, and the people calling him a fuck-up almost never do it to his face, and he doesn't have to listen. "I'm president and you're not, so who's the fuck-up now?"

I do dislike almost everything about him, but I try to understand him. It's kind of like how I feel about earthquakes and cancer.

FranIAm said...

I can't even begin to imagine what goes on in his very f*cked up head.

It is incomprehensible to me.

To have so much blood on your hands.

Distributorcap said...

this is a sociopath
nothing that goes on in his head has one bit of feeling attached to it

in 7 years we have NEVER seen this ice cold stone bastard ever once hug his daughters publicly - i dont recall