Monday, December 10, 2007

Bad advice from lying pinheads

The subject of the photo and drawing above is Friedrich Nietzsche. In the photo of the young man, he looks like he is smelling unpleasant odors from a barnyard. As he matured, he solved this sneering problem by resembling a barnyard animal. Good thinking, Freddy!

It's interesting that so much of the modern conservative worldview thinks that anti-Christian sentiment is a liberal conspiracy, when much of published anti-Christian thought in the past two centuries comes from anti-liberal writers like Nietzsche and Ayn Rand, who put forward hero worship of selfish people of iron will. The most popular piece of buffoonery that dribbled from Nietzsche sneering lips is this nonsensical proverb: "That which does not kill us only serves to make us stronger."

Really. Freddy. You sure you don't want to rethink that? Oh, I'm sorry. You're dead. No rethinking possible.

A car crash didn't kill Monty Clift. It just took away his youth and turned him into a pathetic drug addict. Multiple motorcycle crashes didn't kill Evel Knievel right away. They just turned him into a mean-as-shit drug addict.

Freddy might tell us here that this clearly shows that Clift and Kneivel weren't the supermen that Nietzsche wanted mankind to aspire to be.

There are plenty of life's hardships that don't kill us, at least not right away, and do not make us stronger. Alzheimer's patients can live for decades. No one would say the disease makes the patient stronger. It's not the difference between men and superman, it's the harsh reality of nature.


But this stupid, tough sounding nonsense is still spouted by jackasses who think they've seen the worst the world can show them. Kanye West, a confused young rapper, sings about needing Jesus and wanting a Lexus and looking at education as a sap's game if it isn't going to make you financially better. Earlier this year, he released a song called Stronger, which quotes the famed anti-Christian Nietzsche. A few months later, his beloved mother died as a result of complications from plastic surgery. Like so many tabloid deaths, her story has become a circus of tragedy mixed with searches for blame.

School's not out, Kanye. This is not going to kill you and it's not going to make you stronger. For all the inspiring stories of people overcoming hardships, none of us are supermen. Some things that don't kill us take something away from us forever, and we are not the stronger for it.

If Superman is a dick, we would have to conclude that the man who wrote Man and Superman was just an asshole.

Here endeth the lesson.


----------------
Now playing: Elvis Costello - Running Out Of Fools
via FoxyTunes


7 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

Is it just me, or does the young Friedrich Nietzsche resemble Karl Rove?

I didn't know he was the origin of that phrase. Damn, I really do learn something just about every day.

FranIAm said...

Oh PoP- that is brilliant.

And true!

FranIAm said...

I got so worked up over PoP's Rove comment, I forgot to leave my other words.

Matty- I am not sure where or how your mind came up with it, but I am in awe of such a path. And in complete agreement with it!

Splotchy said...

If you insist on tearing apart trite phrases with no basis in reality, I'm going to have to start speaking with my own words. Damn you, Matty Boy!

Well, I guess what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.

Matty Boy said...

I had been mulling over this one for a while. I was thinking about making the post about weird proverbs when I did a little research and found that this particular stupid saying is universally credited to Nietzsche. Instead of doing a compare and contrast, I decided to dig up his corpse and kick it around a little.

As for Young Freddy and Young Karl looking alike, Freddy didn't go bald and Freddy didn't get fat, so I guess he had better genes and more will. On the other hand, Freddy went into the philosophy racket, while Karl got into the much more lucrative fuck-up-the-entire-world game.

It's a toss up which of them is a worse person.

dguzman said...

I knew it was Nietzche, but I'd never really given it much thought, and I certainly hadn't looked at it from this perspective Matty. Fascinating analysis, and well-proved point. Nice work, sir. Thanks.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Damn fine post sir.