Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Complicated Shadows

I've been tagged by Padre Mickey on the music meme. Here are the rules.

1. Put your music player on Shuffle
2. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
3. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER WHAT(this is in capital letters, so it is very serious.)

Here's what I got. Some of it is ridiculous, some of it is depressing, some of it is ridiculous and depressing which makes it like Strindberg and Helium without the Helium. It's got a lot of Elvis Costello, which isn't that surprising given how many Elvis songs I have on my computer, but even a happy song like So Young is the answer to WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?

Enjoy. If that's the right word.

1. IF SOMEONE SAYS “IS THIS OKAY” YOU SAY? (I'm Spending) Hanukkah In Santa Monica - Tom Lehrer

2. WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY? Beginner's Luck - Fred Astaire

3. WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GUY/GIRL? Less Than Zero - Elvis Costello

4. HOW DO YOU FEEL TODAY? Big Tears - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

5. WHAT IS YOUR LIFE’S PURPOSE? A Town Called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing) - Elvis Costello and Ross McManus

6. WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO? Gia Il Sole Dal Gange - Cecilia Bartoli (Translation: Already the sun shines on the Ganges)

7. WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU? Can Blue Men Sing The Whites? - Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

8. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR PARENTS? Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants

9. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN? I Hold Your Hand In Mine - Tom Lehrer

10. WHAT IS 2+2? Ekoleya - Angélique Kidjo

11. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND? San Francisco Fan - Joe Jackson

12. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PERSON YOU LIKE? Days - The Kinks

13. WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY? Goon Squad - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

14. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP? Rest In Peace - James Marsters

15. WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THE PERSON YOU LIKE? Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden

16. WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU? Walk Through The Fire - Sarah Michelle Gellar and cast

17. WHAT WILL YOU DANCE TO AT YOUR WEDDING? For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton

18. WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL? So Young - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

19. WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST? No Thugs In Our House - XTC

20. WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET? I Shot The Sheriff - Bob Marley & The Wailers

21. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIENDS? Mystery Train - The Band

22. WHAT SHOULD YOU POST THIS AS? Complicated Shadows - Elvis Costello






----------------
Now playing: Elvis Costello - Complicated Shadows
via FoxyTunes

7 comments:

Splotchy said...

At least you didn't shoot the deputy.

Nice to see some Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band show up there!

And do I detect the strains of a Buffy soundtrack floating around there? I might haveta pull the musical episode out again to watch. I actually gave Marster's band "Ghost of a Robot" a try, very, very briefly.

Matty Boy said...

I like the music. The music is fine. It's the answers to the questions that are disturbing.

You did notice two songs from the Buffy musical episode soundtrack, and of course Tom Lehrer shows up twice, along with six count 'em six songs from The One True Living Elvis. That's close to 30% Elvis songs, and I don't have anywhere near that percentage of his songs in my entire library.

The dead body count is definitely alarming in this set of 22 songs. At least nine songs clearly mention dead bodies, and there are a few others that might be about someone who has met their end one way or another.

I'm not really this depressing! Honest to Lenny!

jolie said...

gosh, matty boy, that meme really kicked your butt!

to wit - WHAT IS YOUR LIFE’S PURPOSE? A Town Called Big Nothing (Really Big Nothing)

that's so sad!
...............
anyway, sounds fun. I'm going to fire me ups some MP3 when I gets home!

Karla said...

It's spooky!

But where's our Helium? Did the song list bum out even Helium?

dguzman said...

Is it possible for a random music spin combined with a list of random questions to make one think he/she is a complete weirdo? The answer is YES.

Thanks EVER SO MUCH for the tag, and you can view the results at my little impeachment bloggy.

Matty Boy said...

Even Helium's undefeatable optimism had its ass kicked by my random responses.

As for Really Big Nothing being my life's purpose, I particularly liked that I was going to be DEAD when I grew up, and that So Young would be played at my funeral.

It just gets better and better.

FranIAm said...

Oh Matty- this is good. I know you think the answers part is depressing, but... well never mind what I think.

I loved reading this.