Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Prayer Into The Void

It's Wednesday, which is usually the day I reserve for the math stuff, but multiple straws, and huge friggin' bricks made with straw, have come raining down recently, and this broke ass camel just has to scream to the sky "ENOUGH!"

Padre Mickey has a heartbreaking post about the break-up of the Anglican Church. The break-up, for those of you who don't follow the internal politics of the worldwide Anglican communion, is about gays. Padre Mickey's parents' parish in Central California is splitting from the main part of the church to follow some really intolerant teachings. I was attending the Anglican Church regularly when this controversy was in its infancy. Part of the reason I don't attend anymore is that I saw that no good could come from this.

A straw from last week came from the pinhead pictured here at the left, Mitt Romney. Let me say again that Mitt Romney has lovely hair. Who can deny it?

The beauty of the brain hidden by that hair? Not so much.

He gave a much heralded speech last week, introduced by George H.W. Bush by the way, pre-sold as an explanation of the Mormon faith, but it came off to many as an unveiled threat of what awaits us in a Romney mis-administration of this nation.

The quote that got the most play is "There is no religion without freedom and no freedom without religion." Stephen Colbert made a joke a few years back that all religions are equally valid ways to discover the divinity of the One True Lord Jesus Christ.

The difference is obvious: Romney isn't joking. Freedom from religion will not be an option in 21th Century America as envisioned by the Republicans.

The last straw was the story released yesterday by the AP about Mike Huckabee. Here are the first few paragraphs:

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

The article, to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, says Huckabee asked the question after saying he believes Mormonism is a religion but doesn't know much about it. His rival Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is a member of the Mormon church, which is known officially as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The authoritative Encyclopedia of Mormonism, published in 1992, does not refer to Jesus and Satan as brothers. It speaks of Jesus as the son of God and of Satan as a fallen angel, which is a Biblical account.

In the picture of Huckabee from above, there's a detail that's hard to see unless the picture is blown up.

Do you notice the detail better here?

I thought you would.

This is pretty much the point of having the society stay secular, of having no established national religion. People get to believe batshit insane things, but they don't get to use the cops, army and other instruments of the government to force other people to believe batshit insane stuff.

Last week, the always tolerant and sensible Catholic League decided the movie The Golden Compass was an attack on all religion or their religion or some such nonsense and called for a boycott, which is their right. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I have no opinion on the topic. I do have an opinion on the Catholic League, because I heard their unveiled threats before.

After this salvo, Wired magazine decided to ask "America's most famous atheist" what he thought of the movie.

You know, for balance.

When I saw the link, I was curious as to who this unusual creature "America's most famous atheist" might be. Any guesses, my educated readers?

Answer: Dr. Michael Newdow.

You know, the guy from Sacramento who wants to return to the version of the Pledge of Allegiance we used before the McCarthy era, the one without that "under God" addition.

He's America's most famous atheist? I didn't know his name until the story told me his name, and in all modesty, I am one smart motherfucker. If somebody is famous, a news junkie like me should know his story as soon as I hear his name.

I was trying to think who deserves this title, "America's most famous atheist". My best candidate is Sam Harris, the author of The End of Faith. I don't know if the Religious Right even acknowledges the existence of Sam Harris. Most of the writers who have disagreements with Harris that I have read are other left wingers who also blog at the Huffington Post.

For living skeptics and atheists, Great Britain absolutely kicks the United States' rear end. Batting leadoff, Dr. Richard Dawkins. In the second spot, Dr. Jonathan Miller. In third, the always nasty Christopher Hitchens. I think with a little effort, I could come up with an entire cricket squad of famous living Brit atheists. Here in the U.S., It would take work to come up with enough famous atheist folk to play doubles tennis.

Here's a hint to any conservative religious types who might stumble upon this humble little blog. It's not the evil, sweet talking atheists who lure your flock away. Most folks are willing to go along to get along, but sometimes the crap that comes out of the Christian leaders' mouths gets so thick and odorous that listening to the voices of doubts that all sane people have becomes the only viable option to retain that sanity.

Anyone who loves this country and wants it to maintain a position of moral leadership in the world and economic prosperity cannot, in good faith, vote for these grease weasels. We are heading backwards in so many ways because we have to continually fight these rear guard battles against the proudly ignorant.

Pride mixed with ignorance is the deadliest of deadly sins.

Here endeth the lesson.



----------------
Now playing: King Missile - Jesus Was Way Cool
via FoxyTunes


9 comments:

Matty Boy said...

no_slappz, it's time to get your own blog. Your long rambling comments about whatever you want to talk about, regardless of what I write about, are no longer welcome.

Karla said...

Slappy needs a new hobby! Autoasphyxiation sounds fun!

So, back on topic. Are you saying that blending supreme executive power and supreme religious power is a bad thing?

I thought that absolute power was absolutely smashing!

Oh wait...

dguzman said...

Gees, that Slappy doesn't take a hint, eh?

I tell you--I thought that the 2003-2004 Chimpy was about as psycho-religious as a politician could get (that's when he claimed he was praying with the mothers of soldiers killed in Iraq). These guys put Chimpy to shame. I'm hoping for a 21st century "Sermon on the Mount" stunts from one of these morons. They're THAT prideful and clueless.

Matty Boy said...

I am not good at prediction. I don't know if this is going to be Huckabee's version of the Howard Dean Scream or George Allen's Macaca or just another horrible moment that no one cares about, like Bush calling a reporter a "major league asshole" on an open mike.

FranIAm said...

Thus sayeth teh Matty "and in all modesty, I am one smart motherfucker."

And it was good.

Great post and I am glad you know the Padre and as a result might not think so ill of me for believin' and all despite the fact that it is hard to 'splain some of it.

Dr. Michael WHO?

Great post my man.

pissed off patricia said...

If I agreed with you more, we would be sharing the same brain. And since you are "one smart motherfucker" that would make me one too. I'm good with that.

Listen to how many times you are hearing the word "secular" and always in a negative tone. I think the fundies are trying to make secular the new fear factor word. They want it to be up there with "terrorist".

Matty Boy said...

You're right, POP. They are trying to turn "secular" into the new "liberal".

FranIam, don't worry about your faith getting in the way of our friendship. On the Internets, I made a dear friend who is a fan of the New York Yankees, and a picture this week shows us that our dear dguzman supports the Dallas Cowboys. If I can overlook these things, mere differences in the understanding of the nature of the universe can't possibly get in the way.


Age has mellowed me considerably.

FranIAm said...

Dis is why i luvz dis guy.

reconstitutionjr said...

In Jesusistan, they're lapping it up. Huck has proven himself to be a bigoted, corrupt, lying hypocrite-just the sort of thing the "values" types lap up.