Friday, January 25, 2008

Borrowing from blog buddies...

which a comedian would call "stealing material".

This collage I first saw over at Zoey & Me's Cat in the Bag, one of my blog buddies of long standing. People of my age and general nerdiness level will immediately recognize the source picture as a still from the Batman feature length movie made during the run of the 1960's TV show.

Cheney as the Penguin is an obviously choice, since Jon Stewart's impression of Dick Cheney is really an impression of Burgess Meredith as the Penguin.

The truly inspired work is Rumsfeld as The Riddler, finding one of the jillion pictures of his disgusting smile, the one that seemed to say, "Hey, cut us some slack! We are killing people indiscriminately just as fast as we can! Tee hee!"

Condi as the Catwoman... who else?

Then there's Bush as the Joker. For me, the metaphor falls apart here a little bit. Costumed villians have evil plans. Bush is just a puppet. I don't think he has a plan more convoluted than

1. Have bran for breakfast.
2. Take a dump.
3. Exercise.

Yay, Flags of many lands™!
Yay, Belize!

And since it's a Friday, I will steal material from another blog buddy Padre Mickey, but twist it around enough to make it look like my own by presenting a non-Random 10. I went to my computer and looked for songs which I have more than one version of, recorded by more than one artist. Here's a list of 10 such songs, for a non-Random 22.

Ask the Lonely The Four Tops
Ask the Lonely Vonda Shepard
Days The Kinks
Days Elvis Costello
Days Kirsty MacColl
Georgia On My Mind Hoagy Carmichael
Georgia On My Mind Ray Charles
Georgia On My Mind Billie Holiday and Lester Young
God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind) Randy Newman
God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind) Etta James
I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good) Ella Fitzgerald
I Got It Bad (And That Ain’t Good) Nina Simone
Jesus Gonna Be Here Tom Waits
Jesus Gonna Be Here The Blind Boys of Alabama
Lazy River The Mills Brothers
Lazy River Hoagy Carmichael
Love For Sale Elvis Costello
Love For Sale Ella Fitzgerald
Solitude Django Reinhardt
Solitude Nina Simone
Take It With Me Tom Waits
Take It With Me Anne Sophie Von Otter

What artists show up duplicated on this list of duplicates? Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Nina Simone, Hoagy Carmichael. I can live with that lineup. I pick as the FoxyTune Nina's version of the Duke Ellington classic Solitude, because she always took a Duke tune and turned it inside out, so it sounded like nobody else's version. Great stuff.

----------------
Now playing: Nina Simone - Solitude
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Distributorcap said...

i think bush is more Lola Lasagna than the Joker or King Tut

Matty Boy said...

All Batman villains of that time are too clever for him. Louie the Lilac or one of the third raters might suit him better.

Bizarro Superman is the DC character who reminds me most of the current commander in chief.