Friday, February 22, 2008

I read the news today, oy vey.

So the big damn deal news is that John McCain was spending too much time with a female lobbyist. People's minds being what they are, too much time = dirty illicit sex. He denies it. His wife goes on stage with him and denies it.

We all know how important the appearance of the wife on stage with you is. Ask Larry Craig.

Here's the thing.

I. Don't. Care.

The metaphorical truth that McCain is in bed with lobbyists is much more damaging than the alleged literal possibility that he is in bed with a particular lobbyist. But I can't possibly vote for McCain for a reason that isn't news anymore.

He says it's okay if we are in Iraq for fifty years. Or one hundred years. He says we will be fighting more wars.

Thanks for playing. Here's your fabulous parting gift. I will vote for your opponent and work as hard as I can to get that person elected. You can't be our next president, and if you are, I will make a serious effort to emigrate.

The news about Obama is plagiarism. Again, I don't much care. I don't want to come off as pro-plagiarism any more than I want to come off as pro-adultery. I put up the Obama sign on my blog not as a born again lover of the man, but as someone who really thinks the black guy has a better chance of being president than the white woman.

There's a sentence that I should save for a They Wouldn't Believe Me post.

I'm not a Hillary hater, but I worry about how many there are. Also, she talks about forcing people to pay for health insurance. I have a real problem with this, as I will make clearer in the next few weeks.

We know the print, TV and Internet news media need to fill up space and time every day, but just because they get their teeth into the pant leg of a story and won't let go, it doesn't mean that story is really important to people or our republic. For me, after the war and the economy, I have two major questions.

Does the government have the right to torture prisoners?

Does the government have the right to spy on citizens without a warrant?

I want the candidate who answers an emphatic "NO!" to both those questions, and even when the people who did these things are out of office, I want the full weight of the law to hit them, just so no future president/vice president/attorney general/secretary of defense thinks they can get away with this shit without facing serious consequences.

And I mean "Empty your pockets and give us your belt and shoelaces" serious.

~~~

And since it's a Friday, we end with a Random 10.

Girls Talk Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Everybody’s Cryin’ Mercy Mose Allison
Caught by the Fuzz Supergrass
The Hallelujah Chorus The Roches
James K. Polk They Might Be Giants
Dust My Broom Elmore James
What’s Her Name Today? Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach
Crazy Little Thing Called Love Queen
Thunderball Tom Jones
Son Tutta Duolo (A. Scarlatti) Cecilia Bartoli

And random is right. A double dose of Elvis C., never a bad thing. Elmore James' signature tune, Queen singing the best Elvis Presley song Elvis never sang, an embarrassing selection from Tom Jones followed by a not at all embarrassing finale from Cecilia Bartoli, who while not a giantess, has a look I like. I choose as the signature song Mose Allison at his most cynical, which contains the line that catches the current political situation too well.

Everybody's cryin' Peace On Earth,
Just as soon as we win this war.



----------------
Now playing: Mose Allison - Everybody's Cryin' Mercy
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

Splotchy said...

Thanks for the 'splainin!

CDP said...

Excellent. It's completely unlikely that any President, even a Democrat (since Kucinich is out of the race) will send Bush and Cheney to Fort Leavenworth where they belong, but I'm sure that the 2 Democratic candidates remaining (I support Sen. Clinton but will certainly vote for Sen. Obama if he's nominated) will at least attempt to restore separation of powers and the rule of law.

jolie said...

we had a debate here last night, maybe y'all watched, and I have to say that being in a crowd watching (big screen, amplified) instead of at home - even given the plus of my DVR - made the evening. austin definitely has a feel of something historic happening and for some lucky chance we're right in it.

my vote rests with clinton - for me she wins on substance - although I can easily understand the attraction of obama, who is elegant and eloquent.

my take-away after last night was that as a country we win, no matter which of the two gets the nod.

Matty Boy said...

It certainly looks like the Democratic nominee will have it all over the Republican nominee, but as a gambler, I know the dangers of celebrating early.

I thought Bush and Cheney were going to be in serious problems after swearing over an open mike. Of course, they didn't actually win the 2000 election, but they came awfully close, didn't they?

FranIAm said...

Loving that random 10 very much.