Monday, February 11, 2008

Obsolete week: Polaroid instant film discontinued

This week, Polaroid has decided to stop making the instant film for their cameras. Edwin Land invented the instant film technology, and the company profited mightily for the better part of four decades on this single idea. There are other companies who make instant film cameras, but the name Polaroid became a false generic for the style of photography, like Jell-O is for gelatin or Q-Tip is for cotton swabs.

Nowadays, instant pictures are just too slow when a digital camera shows you an image, albeit a tiny, tiny image, in a fraction of a second instead of a minute later. I have to wonder if squinting at tiny images on cellphones is going to cause eye strain in the younger generation quicker, or will it be good exercise that causes eye strain to progress more slowly. My guess is the former, but I'm a better 'splainer than a predictor.

I picked today's song because I think Outkast is going to be around for a while, but ten years from now when this is played on a "classic R&B" station, little kids are going to wonder "What's a Polaroid picture and how do I shake it?"


----------------
Now playing: Outkast - Hey Ya!
via FoxyTunes

8 comments:

CDP said...

It won't take 10 years...my son asked me just a year or so ago "what's a Polaroid picture and why do you shake it?" when he heard this song.

Splotchy said...

Another wonderfully informative post! I wasn't aware they were discontinuing the instant film (though I also wasn't aware they were still making it).

If any kids ask me what's cooler than bein' cool, I'll be sure and tell 'em "Matty Boy!"

dguzman said...

For the longest time I thought it was "Shake it like a pepperoni pizza," so maybe that's what the kids will think it is too. Or else I'm just that white. Thank goodness that splotch reminded me that Matty Boy is cooler than cool, and thus I am somewhat cool by association. Whew.

Matty Boy said...

I thank you for saying that I'm cooler than cool, but it isn't getting me anywhere with the Beyonces and Lucy Lius.

Zoey & Me said...

Different subject. Jim Zorn new Washington Redskins coach? Any chance Matty Boy can comment on that selection? I'm starting to choke . . . Me

Matty Boy said...

Well, Me, it's a big switch for Dan Snyder. He's not adverse to spending money, so with the salary cap on players, he decided to pony up for a very expensive staff headed by Joe Gibbs. That hasn't worked out so well so far.

Zorn is a retread, and sometimes retreads get better in a new assignment. I think that until the Redskins have a QB as good as Tony Romo or Eli Manning or a defense as good as the Ravens, it's going to be hard sledding.

Padre Mickey said...

thank you for saying that I'm cooler than cool, but it isn't getting me anywhere with the Beyonces and Lucy Lius
Maybe if you offer to take their pictures with your polaroid...

FranIAm said...

When I was moving away from LA in 2000, my fabulous friends (the ones I visited in December) threw me a big ass going away party.

At said party was a table with a polaroid camera, film, a glue stick, colored markers and plain 3 hole punch paper and instructions for the guests to have a photo taken and then they would glue it onto a piece of paper and write me a note.

It is a reminder of a happy night and now it is a reminder in the vein of a dial up bakelite phone and many other objects...