Sunday, February 10, 2008

There will be blood oranges.


My niece Holly is back from New York, studying for her Master's degree in San Francisco, living just a few blocks away from me in Oakland. Yesterday, we hopped on BART to Berkeley and saw There Will Be Blood. As you might guess from the title, this is not the feel-good movie of the California oil exploration business. Daniel Day Lewis is very good, and he pretty much has to be, since he is on screen about 70% of the time in a movie that runs more than two and a half hours. There are some other major roles in the film, but there are also some tremendously underutilized talented actors in the cast. Ciar√°n Hinds, who was so good as Julius Caesar in Rome, plays Lewis' second in command, a role with very little dramatic payoff.

I haven't been to many movies in theaters recently, but I did enjoy this, as I did No Country For Old Men. I'm not very good at Oscar predicting, but if I had a vote, I'd vote for Javier Bardem in No Country, because he's scarier.

And if I were making a movie, I'd have the protagonist invite over his adversaries to have a parlay concerning the redress of grievances, and he would serve blood oranges. Everyone would marvel at how tasty the little buggers are, how the peel comes off so easily, how juicy and flavorful they are, how pretty and unexpected the red colored meat of the fruit is.

"Gosh, where'd you get these, Mr. Plainview?"

"They are available at a shop called Trader Joe's when they are in season. My boy H.W. was the first to try them in this house, but now I can't seem to get enough of them."

It wouldn't be a very dramatic movie, but at least it could have a happy ending.


5 comments:

Tara Mobley said...

I haven't seen either of the movies you mentioned because of Evie.

Evie loves blood oranges. She can eat an entire one herself, if it has been peeled for her. But she ends up covered in the bright red juice.

Matty Boy said...

Are there pictures of her post feast?

dguzman said...

A friend of mine sometimes makes blood orange martinis, with fresh blood oranges. I can't get past the name, though.

Tara Mobley said...

If we don't have a picture of her, I'll be sure to take one the next time she eats a blood orange.

Matty Boy said...

You have to try them, dg. I don't know how good they will the farther you get from a source, but we get ones from California and they are Fabbolus!