Sunday, February 3, 2008

Top Five compilation albums

If you saw the movie or read the book High Fidelity, the guys who work in the fictional record shop called Championship Vinyl are known as vinylheads, obsessive record collectors. In large part, vinylheads are dismissive of compilation albums, especially if they are made after the Golden Age of Albums begins, some people putting the beginning of that era at the time of Frank Sinatra's best albums in the 1950's, others putting it at the time of the concept albums like The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's or The Beach Boys Pet Sounds.

I am not as obsessive as the guys in High Fidelity, at least not about recorded music, so I here give my list of the Top Five compilation albums, listed alphabetically by artist.

Sound + Vision David Bowie

20 All Time Greatest Hits! James Brown

Operator's Manual Buzzcocks

The 25th Anniversary in Show Business Salute to Ray Charles Ray Charles

Ramonesmania Ramones

What's on your list?

----------------
Now playing: James Brown - Get Up Offa That Thing
via FoxyTunes


7 comments:

FranIAm said...

As someone who loved the book High Fidelity and then surprisingly loved the movie too, I have gone through many of my own list obsessed years.

I have a former client/friend who is in his early 50's and I anxiously await his "list" that is published via email at the end of every year.

And I have enjoyed your selections and would choose at least 2.

My problem? I can't ever make a list and stick with it!

Too many choices.

Splotchy said...

Bo Diddley - The Chess Box is absolutely awesome.

There are others rolling around in my head, but that one popped out of me.

Matty Boy said...

Good choice, Splotchy. Bo Diddley, like a lot of artists from the late 1950s and early 1960s, were thought of as singles acts, so their best stuff has to be compilations. Of my three favorite artists, all my Fats Waller records are compilations, while I do NOT own a compilation record of Elvis Costello or Tom Waits, thank you very much, since I own pretty close to every album they ever made.

Padre Mickey said...

I think the Stiff Records Box set is one hell of a comp.
And of course San Jose Is Ground Zero; We're Number 1! is one of the all time greatest local band comps ever produced.

Matty Boy said...

I hadn't thought about the multiple act compilations, Padre. Stiff is great, Two-Tone is pretty good, the nine box Stax/Volt is awesome. Like you, I am also fond of San Jose is Ground Zero, though unlike you, I was not involved in the recording.

Crispy32 said...

Some excellent choices here and I see you have included the original and in my opinion the superior first issue of the Bowie Sound + Vision Boxset.

I would add three compilations from ACE Records, Chartbusters USA Vols 1,2 and 3. These three intelligently compiled collections are like a dream jukebox of cool American pop music from the 60's. It's akin to finding a forgotten box of old singles in the attic of hip relative who used to work for a Radio station in the US

Real Estate in Vietnam said...

Your blog is amazing! I love it so much, from now on I'm gonna check it every day! thank you so much for being awesome and blog!