Saturday, February 16, 2008

Why I love the French. (No, really.)

What I love about the French is that when one of their politicians gets a bad idea, the country is up in arms. Unlike the U.S., where we pretend their are two sides to a story, everybody gets a say and life's rich pageant becomes clear.

As reported in the New York Times, new French leader Nicholas Sarkozy wants every French fifth grader to do a report on some ten year old French child who died in The Holocaust. It's important history, right? What could be the debate?

Some Holocaust survivors think it is too much trauma to visit on ten year olds. Some historians think it focuses too much on the Nazis and their victims and ignores the culpability of the Vichy government. Some think it perpetuates the view of The Holocaust as a Jewish tragedy instead of a human tragedy, ignoring the plight of the Gypsies and others. Others see it as a way to sneak religion into the field of government, which is viewed very dimly in Europe. Let me take this quote from the Times piece.

Other analysts blamed the confessional approach of the United States for infecting Mr. Sarkozy’s thinking. “Listen, it’s in the air of the times,” said RĂ©gis Debray, the philosopher and author, on France Inter radio Friday. “There is a religious sentimentality, a pretty vague religiousness, let’s say, in the world of show business, in the world of business, that comes from America. It’s the neoconservative wave of the born-agains.”

Look at that. On the radio in France, they have philosophers!

PHILOSOPHERS!!!


In the U.S., we have the morning zoo. We have guys who became multi-millionaires lying through their teeth about politicians they don't like or hoping that San Francisco gets blown up or interviewing strippers. Interviewing strippers on the radio?!?! Where's the entertainment in that? It's like how my dad used to complain about ventriloquists on the radio when he was a lad.

The French put philosophers on the radio. And for that, yes, I love the French.

Of course, I love the French more when they look like this, but I am a heterosexual male, and therefore completely at the mercy of my hormones in a situation such as this.

It really can't be helped.



----------------
Now playing: Teresa Stratas - J'attends un navire
via FoxyTunes

8 comments:

Karla said...

I'm sorry - is she delivering the news in a halter top?

Matty Boy said...

She is wearing an off the shoulder floral print. Very tasteful.

FranIAm said...

Off the shoulder? Matty. Karla you are correct.

Halter.

She can work that halter though.

jolie said...

wow she's definitely somethin'! tanned, too.

imagine coulter-geist in a halter.

oh.dear.

sry.

Matty Boy said...

Jolie, you are a valued commenter, but you have definitely harshed my mellow. That other person you mentioned is not allowed in the same sentence with La Belle Melissa.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I pay all the money in the world to see that sweet slice of French pastry do the news in a halter top.

jolie said...

my true & humble apologies, matty boy. I can see how my comment would have jarred the day. were I a blamin' type, I'd say the election coverage made me do it. I'm not the blamin' type, but the election coverage still made me do it. I will endeavah to be bettah.

dguzman said...

Wow, I arrive to find my fave French dish, Matty's sister hatin' on that dish, Fran scolding Matty for his fashion euphemisms, and Jolie telling horror stories. God, I love it here.

French on, Matty Boy. This should wipe Jolie's horrific image out of your mind: imagine if La Belle Melissa were twenty. feet. tall.