Monday, February 4, 2008

wow.

49ers fans have already trademarked "The Catch" and "The Drive", but Eli Manning to David Tyree should have a simple name of its own to be remembered for all time. My choice is The Scramble.

I was still moving stuff and only heard the first half on radio. When I got home, I cleaned up then walked down to a bar near the Parkway to see the last quarter on TV. From what I heard, I didn't miss much of the offensive excitement.

The bar I went to was LOADED with Giants fans. A good play by the Patriots was barely acknowledged. A good play by the Giants was met with a lusty and sustained scream. The drive in the last two minutes by the Giants was amazing, but Eli Manning scrambling out of the grasp of multiple Patriots to complete the pass to David Tyree was so amazing, you'd think it was choreographed for the corniest football movie ever made.

I was rooting for the Patriots, if only to shut the damned 1972 Dolphins up, but it would be hard to ask for a more dramatic game to the very end.

I had a dream last night that I offered Tom Brady some m&m's. He refused, but I insisted. I waited until he had a mouthful, then asked "Even though you lost, you still get to have sex with Gisele B√ľndchen tonight, right?"

In my dream, the moment is immortalized with Brady cracking up, a mouth full of m&m's fully visible.

If you can win 18 games and lose 1 in a season the wrong way, that would be what the Patriots just did, but in my mind they have nothing to be ashamed of. Brady still has three Super Bowl rings, and he's still a young man.

And as I said, earlier, wow.

----------------
Now playing: The Buzzcocks - Everybody's Happy Nowadays
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

jolie said...

yeah, scramble is a better description of that play. for a while - until the last few minutes - we were wondering whether this game would be the all-time lowest scoring super bowl.

I enjoyed it, probably because none of us had a dog in the fight. just good fun watching some great players.

then I heard the *really* great news: detroit bagged dallas, in a big way. woohoo!

full disclosure: I'm a spurs fan. yay timmeh!

pissed off patricia said...

I slept through most of it, but from what I hear you saw the best part. I'll take the M&Ms if Brady doesn't want them. :)

Zoey & Me said...

Know why I'm happy? You recall I'm a die hard Redskins fan. Because the Sports page in Boston, when the Pats beat us by 38 pts said "No Mercy." 1) They didn't have to run up the score, 2) they didn't have to gloat. Bilicheck got what he deserved and Tom Brady can kiss. He's no Joe Montana. He's a good quarterback, not a great one!

Matty Boy said...

Yeah, the Pats seem to have made a lot of enemies this year. I still like them some, though I've never been a fan of theirs. My friend Mina was a Patriot fan, so I have some residual love for them. (She was also a Dodger fan, but she can't be blamed for that, seeing as she was raised in Los Angeles.)

dguzman said...

I. Can't. Believe. It.

I just found out this morning (I've been home with a concussion, actually). I don't even know what to say. Oh wait, yeah I do--NO FUCKING WAY! I'm so bummed. I got no great love for the Pats, but I HATE HATE HATE the Giants and Eli Manning.

Guess I'll just hope that they suck out loud next year.

Matty Boy said...

A concussion? Are you okay?

Enquiring minds want to know.