This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Casting call for Jesus

Here are three actors who have played Jesus in major motion pictures. Notice a certain similarity of hair and eye color? It's not that they are bad actors. Jim Caveziel is good, Max Von Sydow was terrific and Jeffrey Hunter... well, okay. Jeffrey Hunter was no William Shatner.

Anne Rice has stopped writing books about pretty vampires and has started writing books about Jesus. She has said if these books are turned into major motion pictures, she'd like Jonny Depp to play Jesus. Well... at least he's brown eyed, but still a little on the blond and pale side.

Here would be my top choice for a well-known actor to play Jesus, Naveen Andrews. Jesus was from the Middle East, so he would look like the actors now hired to play terrorists. He was an observant Jew, so at the age of thirty, his beard would likely be down to the middle of his chest. His hair could have been very long as well.

I would like to see this, especially in a time when so many Christians here in the United States have a limited view of who counts a neighbor they are commanded to love.

Have a good Good Friday. My computer is acting up, so I can't even put together a Random 10, iTunes is being so fussy. I'm going to take it into the shop, and with luck, it will be back among the living by Monday.

10 comments:

CDP said...

I'm a big fan of Naveen Andrews, so excellent casting choice.

FranIAm said...

Whoo hooo- Matty, you named him.

Excellent choice.

Happy Everything.

Hope the computer gets better. I had to bring mine in too and its all good for the moment.

Matty Boy said...

Thanks for best wishes for my computer. It's acting up in weird ways, so I hope it isn't too expensive. I will keep y'all informed.

sfmike said...

The worst casting was Willem Dafoe in "The Last Temptation of Christ." I mean, really, Scorcese should have known better since he is a fellow Mediterranean. They really don't get much whiter than Willem.

Wait a second. There was an even worse, blonder Jesus, Ted Neeley in "Jesus Christ Superstar" who looked like nothing so much as a 1970s Texas red freak (seconal, for the uninitiated).

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Everybody know Jesus had blond hair and blue eyes. I used to love those religious movies when I was a kid, I think I must have had a man crush on all those Nordic Jesuses.

Matty Boy said...

There's a famous modern painting of Jesus as very blond and blue eyed with wonderful back lighting.

Padre Mickey was the first one I heard call this painting "Beautiful Hair Breck Jesus".

This joke may not be understood by younger people.

Distributorcap said...

can you fix my computer?

breck hair jesus, only his hairdresser knows for sure

dguzman said...

Beautiful Breck Hair Jesus--lovely! Who knew Jesus was a Breck girl?

I think you're right that casting an actor who is from that region (or even looks like he could be) would be a vast improvement. All I remember about the Max von Sydow portrayal is the gentle-eyed staring he did. I don't even remember him talking--just staring at the camera, to the point of creepiness.

FranIAm said...

Jesus loved Breck... and then he told two friends, and they told two friends and they told two friends.

Shampoo-evangelization!

Matty, how I worry. How are you and your 'puter?

Matty Boy said...

I'm picking up my computer later today, Tuesday. They say they've fixed it. We will see.