Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stanley Kamel 1943-2008

Veteran character actor Stanley Kamel has died. You might not know the name, but if you watched American TV in the past 40 years or so, I don't see how you could fail to recognize the face. If there was an official category of "oh yeah, that guy" actors, Stanley Kamel might very well be the standard bearer.

On the Huffington Post, the teaser headline read Monk actor dies. No quotes around Monk, the capital M could have just been the start of a sentence, so I thought it was an actor who was also a monk who they were talking about. His recurring role was as Monk's psychiatrist, and since Monk is obsessive-compulsive, Kamel showed up nearly every week. Because I only watched Monk for about one season, that isn't where I remember him best, but it was his longest running gig in a very long career, almost all of it on television.

If you didn't watch Monk, here's a list of shows where Stanley Kamel had recurring roles, starting with the oldest: Kojak, Barney Miller, Hill Street Blues, Mr. Belvedere, L.A. Law, Hunter, Cagney & Lacey, Beauty and the Beast, Murder She Wrote, Matlock, Father Dowling Mysteries, Diagnosis Murder, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills 90210, Murder One, Mr. Sterling.

If you missed all those shows, and that would take some doing, here are shows that I watched regularly enough that I remember Stanley Kamel's role on a single episode: The West Wing, Six Feet Under, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Mission: Impossible.

Stanley Kamel has died at the age of 65. I remember when I thought that was an age when people just started to die, no explanation needed. It seems very young now. Best wishes to his friends and family from a fan. You done good work, Stan, and we'll miss you.

4 comments:

dguzman said...

Oh man.

He was also in one of Madonna's videos, but I can't remember the song title.

Man. I really liked his work.

CDP said...

He also had recurring roles on "LA Law", which I liked to watch in reruns 10 years ago or so. He was very good in everything he appeared in, nice tribute.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

That dude was in everything!

Matty Boy said...

Thanks, CDP, I saw that role on the imdb.com list and it got lost in transcription. It has now been added in where it belongs.