Friday, June 27, 2008

Could we do worse?


Yes, we could, especially if we allowed cartoon characters to run. The chubby young fellow "picking a winner" is Ralph Wiggum, the developmentally challenged son of the Springfield police chief. In an episode from last season, Ralph was put forward as a favorite son candidate for president by the Springfieldians. "How hard is it to be president?" Homer asked rhetorically. "You just point the army and shoot."

We can see in an older picture of two actual future presidents that Bush the Younger also had difficulties with where he should put his hands when the photo is taken, though in a different direction than young Master Wiggum.

~

Friday means Random 10!

Crawling From The Wreckage Dave Edmunds
Bye Bye Love The Everly Brothers
Your Racist Friend They Might Be Giants
Something To Sing About Sarah Michelle Gellar
(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher Jackie Wilson
Motherless Child Eric Clapton
5 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days Louis Prima
And Your Bird Can Sing The Beatles
My Girl The Temptations
Fell On Black Days Soundgarden

Definitely a poppy, peppy random selection this week, though it might be subtitled Misery You Can Dance To. Jackie Wilson and The Temptations didn't get the memo, but everybody else is singing upbeat tunes about car wrecks, racism, the desire to be dead and of course, pop music's favorite topic, love gone bad. The list includes my favorite George Harrison guitar performance and that great simple guitar phrase that starts My Girl. But then, the guy who stands in the corner and doesn't talk to anybody requests some Soundgarden, and the party takes a turn for the considerably darker.

Have a nice weekend, y'all!

5 comments:

Rocky, Angie & S'more said...

Hello,
I just wanted to say how much I like your blog. I spend most of my time in the cat blogoshere and don't get around to visitor other blogs much.

Love your Obama 08 widget. I am hoping to have one up on my blog shortly :)

Matty Boy said...

Howdy! Always glad to welcome another commenter.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Sarah Michelle Gellar had thrust songs into the atmosphere. I guess we learn something every day, and that was my something today. I'm also against Louis Prima, but the Beatles and Soundgarden goodness cancel him out.

Matty Boy said...

Sarah Michelle Gellar's song is on the soundtrack to the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In general, fans of the Buffy-verse love the musical.

dguzman said...

Lovin' the Buffy choice--that's one of my favorite numbers from the musical. "She needs back-up. Anya! Tara!" awesome.

I'd rather have Ralph Wiggum that Chimpy "Crotch Grab" Bush.