This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Livelier than the sports page!

Okay, for those of you not keeping track, here are some of the highlights of the obits page from the past the past ten days.

Dick Martin. Harvey Korman. Sydney Pollack. Bo Diddley. Yves Saint Laurent.

That's a lotta folks I don't have to 'splain, especially to Americans who have watched TV any time in the past 40 years.

Somewhat less known are two composers of famous TV themes. Alexander Courage did a lot of the music for the original Star Trek, and I'm sure my sister Karla would like me to put up a YouTube link to that, but also having joined the choir invisible was Earle Hagen, who wrote a jillion tunes for TV shows as well. Among the shows with Hagen themes are I Spy, The Mod Squad, Make Room For Daddy, That Girl, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Eight is Enough, The Dukes of Hazzard and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. But I leave you with a theme from a more obscure show with a not at all obscure theme song.

The show was Mike Hammer. The name of the theme was Harlem Nocturne. Here's a great version by Earl Bostic.



A fond farewell to all on the list, from a fan.

2 comments:

Karlacita! said...

Well if you're not going to post the funniest use of Alexander Courage music, I guess I'll have to!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJQvswrSPg

But you're right that the Mike Hammer music is cool. Much cooler than the show!

dguzman said...

That's a lot of great people all leaving us at the same time. Ouch.