Monday, June 2, 2008

Matty Boy: Rich, elitist neo-con?

So I posted an essay over at The Smirking Chimp because so many of the posts over there are seriously over-emphasizing the gloom and doom, and I wanted people to take a breath. I was talking to my brother recently, and he saw three different prices of gas in the same day at a local filling station, one in the morning, price up at noon, price up again in the evening. I saw something similar a few years back when I was living in Castro Valley. Isn't this like the Weimar Republic?

Not really. My brother saw it last month, I saw it a few years back. In Weimar Germany, it was an everyday occurrence with dozens of commodities. We are a long way away from hyperinflation, and that was the point I was trying to make.

If you read the comments on my thread at the Chimp, you'll see that I'm totally out to lunch, an apologist for the rich and an elitist neo-con.

When I write on the Chimp, I can expect a thousand or so people to read what I write. Here, the number is probably nearer to one hundred. But a lot smaller proportion of the hundred people here are crazy, which is why I do this every day and post on the Chimp maybe once a month.

Or maybe it's just because I'm an elitist. We can't be sure.

10 comments:

Splotchy said...

I just want to ask you, did you take your jewel-encrusted opera gloves off to type this post, or did you get your butler to type it for you?

It's nice to know the tradition of well-reasoned critiques from Usenet has gracefully descended upon your comments section. Don't sweat it, man.

ken said...

Wow. I've known you for, what, 20 years? and you never told me you were a far-right ultrarich nutjob. I had you down as a far-left, ultrapoor nutjob ;-)

Great post.

- ken

Matty Boy said...

Well, Ken, I have had a secret identity all these years. I find the rich in general to be incredibly dull, so I hobnob with the lower classes only because they are livelier. I disguise myself as a perenially broke mofo so I won't be hit up for cash by the working class people I encounter.

Human nature is a tricky thing.

dguzman said...

So I'm supposed to believe that you're a rich elitist asshole now?

I'm not buying it!

FranIAm said...

Oh Matty, say it ain't so! No car? Hmmm... a Porsche.

Simple living... A mansion in Pacific Heights.

The Blog... oh who am I kidding, you are a man of the people.

And we love that about you!

FranIAm said...

PS - nice job over there Matty. Really good stuff.

Distributorcap said...

so you are an elitist - who knew? i thought people who knew math were just nerds

LOL

Jess Wundrun said...

Hey, I happen to be insane. I'm glad you visit us in steerage though.

Maybe you should rename your blog "Greetings from the Hoi Polloi"?

Matty Boy said...

Thanks to all for coming to my support.

Thanks for recognizing me as a man of the people, Fran. I asked my valet Hobson and he agrees with you, though he prefers it when I call him a gentleman's gentleman.

Hobson, the caviar tonight. It's not Persian, is it? Quite all right, I'm sure you'll remember next time.

namastenancy said...

And here I thought that you were "one of us. " Could I have been mistaken? No, never! Namastenancy always knows who is right (or on the left/liberal) and who is wrong (ie, on the right). I thought that your essay made sense to me. My mother's side of the family was/is one of those right wing Southern Methodist families and Obama as the anti-Christ is just the kind of thing they would believe in a hot Mississippi minute.