Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A new movie quote game. UPDATED.


A while back, there were people searching my blog trying to find the answer to a trivia question about a pig, a rock band and the cartoon shows Invader Zim and The Simpsons. I published the answer and the people running the online trivia game got miffed at me. I got rid of the direct answer and left a hint instead.

This got me to thinking about trivia quizzes online. How can you Google-proof one of these things? It seems like all information everywhere is in the World Wide Web somewhere, it's just a matter of asking the right question to the right search engine.

Here's my idea. Take a well-known movie with a lot of great lines. Take several of those lines and ask the folks who want to play to identify who said the lines (either by the actor's name or the character's name) and to put the lines in chronological order from first to last in the film.

The movie I've chosen to do this with first is The Princess Bride. With this movie, one of the greatest lines is unavailable for use, because Mandy Patinkin says "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." several times in the film, so putting it in chronological order becomes difficult.

Of course, if you've never seen this film you are totally hosed, but every trivia contest has that problem to some extent. Here are the lines. Good luck.

We have a winner! Please no more calls.

My niece Holly, who watched the video of The Princess Bride a jillion times when she was a kid, nailed the whole thing. Trinket999, one of My People, was very close but missed one actor and the order on two quotes. Here are the complete answers.

b] “Farm boy… fetch me that pitcher.” Robin Wright as Buttercup

g] “Is this a kissing book?” Fred Savage as The Boy

a] “Do you want me to leave you where I found you? Unemployed… in Greenland?” Wallace Shawn as Vezzini

f] “I want to say that she doesn’t die here. The eels don’t kill her. I say this because you look worried.” Peter Falk as The Grandfather

j] “Unless your opponent has studied his Agrippa. Which I have.” Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya

h] “Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who says different is selling something.” Cary Elwes as Westley/The Dread Pirate Roberts

c] “Hmmm, look who knows so much!” Billy Crystal as Miracle Max

i] “Mawwiage…” Peter Cook as The Impressive Clergyman

d] “I could be bluffing. Pig.” Cary Elwes as Westley

e] “I found these four white horses just in case you found the lady. Hello, lady!” Andre the Giant as Fezzik

My apologies to Chris Sarandon and my adopted actor Christopher Guest for not including any of their quotes.

When next my niece Holly and I see a movie at the Parkway, the first drink is my treat.

11 comments:

trinket999 said...

"Is this a kissing book?" - the boy
"Farm boy... fetch me that pitcher" - Buttercup
"Do you want me to leave you where I found you? Unemployed… in Greenland?" Vizzini
"I want to say that she doesn’t die here. The eels don’t kill her. I say this because you look worried." - the grandfather
"Unless your opponent has studied his Agrippa, which I have." - Inigo Montoya
"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who says different is selling something." - the Dread Pirate Roberts
"Hmmm, look who knows so much!" - Billy Crystal
"Mawwiage…" - Rowan Atkinson
"I could be bluffing. Pig." - Westley
"I found these four white horses just in case you found the lady. Hello, lady!" - Andre the Giant

CDP said...

I don't know the movie well enough to play, but I suggest that next time you do the game, use "A Christmas Story", just because it contains one of my all time favorite movie lines...

"Sons of bitches! Bumpasses!"

I say it every time my neighbor's stupid dog keeps me awake with his fool 2 am barking.

Matty Boy said...

Nice work. Trinket. You have one actor/charcter incorrectly identified and two quotes that aren't in the proper order. Very close to the big win.

I've seen "A Christmas Story" several times, but I don't have the movie in order in my mind. I'd need to see it again, which wouldn't be a bad idea. If folks like this, I was going to go with "Casablanca", "All About Eve", "The Magnificent Seven", "Dr. Stranglove" and a few others that I can set up in a short time by just thinking about the movies I've seen them so often.

Yovia Network said...

There is an actual Princess bride Game that is launching tomorrow june 11 everyone should really check it out. If you are a lover of this move I think it should be a good time.
the url is http://www.princessbridegame.com/

Karlacita! said...

Peter Cook, not Rowan Atkinson, but what else?

Karlacita! said...

Wait - what does trinket win?

'Cause that's a fine piece of trivializing there.

jolie said...

and to be speficic (or should I say, specific) the grandfather is peter falk, one of the all-time great actors.

Matty Boy said...

Still, there are two quotes in the wrong order.

More than this I cannot say.

Holly said...

Ooh, a trivia contest I can do!

Here are my answers:

b] “Farm boy… fetch me that pitcher.” (buttercup)

g] “Is this a kissing book?” (Fred Savage)

a] “Do you want me to leave you where I found you? Unemployed… in Greenland?” (Vizzini)

f] “I want to say that she doesn’t die here. The eels don’t kill her. I say this because you look worried.” (The Grandfather)

j] “Unless your opponent has studied his Agrippa. Which I have.” (Inigo Montoya)

h] “Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who says different is selling something.” (Westley/The Man in Black)

c] “Hmmm, look who knows so much!” (Miracle Max)

i] “Mawwiage…” (Peter Cook)

d] “I could be bluffing. Pig.” (Westley)

e] “I found these four white horses just in case you found the lady. Hello, lady!” (Andre the Giant)

trinket999 said...

Oh my god. I knew I wasn't going to get everything right but I never thought I'd confuse the clergymen from the Princess Bride and Four Weddings and a Funeral. How embarrassing.

Congratulations to Holly. If there's a movie to have committed to memory, this is one of them.

Holly said...

Woo hoo! Free drinks! I'd like to thank my grandpa (AKA as "Dad" to my uncle Matty Boy) for gifting this movie to me as a child. When Saturday morning cartoons weren't on, what was a girl to do but watch the Princess Bride? :)