This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Monday, July 21, 2008

The Drunkards' Hit Parade: The middle of the batting order


Let me be clear. By listing five bad songs today and five better ones tomorrow, I will not be exhausting The Drunkard's Hit Parade in any way, shape or form. Here are a few more songs from the list, suggested by my readers and some suggested by students in my class who would know much better than I the songs that play in clubs today. I will neither praise nor disparage these songs, merely list them because people have mentioned them, either in person or in the comments.

From previous eras.

Your Cheating Heart
Melancholy Baby
Stairway to Heaven
Freebird
Lady of Spain
Begin the Beguine
Dardanella
Sweet Home Alabama (usually requested simply as SKYNYRD!)
Piano Man
Whippin' Post
My Sharona
Chicago (My Kind of Town or That Toddling Town? Zoey&Me failed to say.)
New York, New York
Ice Ice Baby (requesters now thankfully extinct.)
Bohemian Rhapsody
We Are The Champions


And some older songs DJs still get requests this very day to play in clubs.

Jump (Van Halen)
P.Y.T. (among other Michael Jackson songs)
Baby Got Back (Okay. I said I wouldn't comment, but this deserves a dishonorable mention.)
Walk This Way (The Aerosmith-RUN D.M.C. version is still popular.)
Poison (Yes, by Bel Biv Devoe. Young students say guys still request it in clubs. Unbelievable.)
This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan)

Other additions happily considered in the comments.

Yay, Flags of Many Lands™!
Yay, The Faröe Islands!

Because no one can get enough umlauts in their diet.

No comments: