Friday, July 11, 2008

That is my least vulnerable spot. UPDATED.


Last month, I had a trivia quiz based on lines from The Princess Bride. Today, I'm going to run another, this time using lines from Casablanca. Casablanca is such a great movie for quotes I decided to use lines only spoken by Louis Renault, the cheerfully cynical police captain played so charmingly by Claude Rains. Rains gets fourth billing in the film, but he does an excellent job of stealing the scenes he is in.

So here's the idea of the quiz. Listed below are twelve lines from the script spoken by Rains in alphabetical order. Your job is to put them in chronological order from the movie. It was pretty easy to get twelve good lines from his character; shaving it down to just twelve was the harder part. The title of this post is a line of his I didn't use. I tried to use lines that stood on their own, that didn't need another line from another actor before or after to make sense. Here they are and good luck.

Put these lines from Captain Louis Renault in chronological order in the movie.

a) How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Some day they may be scarce.

b) How’s the jewelry business, Berger?

c) I’ll forgive you this time, but I’ll be in tomorrow night with a breathtaking blonde, and it will make me very happy if she loses.

d) I’m making out the report now. We haven’t quite decided if he committed suicide or died trying to escape.

e) I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.

f) Love, it seems, has triumphed over virtue.

g) Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects.

h) Make it 10. I’m only a poor corrupt official.

i) Serves me right for not being musical.

j) There’s no hurry. Tonight, he’ll be at Rick’s. Everybody comes to Rick’s.

k) Well, mademoiselle, he’s the kind of man that… if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick.

l) You mustn’t underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they blundered into Berlin in 1918.

Obviously, I made this quiz too tough. I also overestimated the number of Casablanca fans that read my blog. Here is the correct order.

j) There’s no hurry. Tonight, he’ll be at Rick’s. Everybody comes to Rick’s.
a) How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Some day they may be scarce.
h) Make it 10. I’m only a poor corrupt official.
k) Well, mademoiselle, he’s the kind of man that… if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick.
b) How’s the jewelry business, Berger?
l) You mustn’t underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they blundered into Berlin in 1918.
d) I’m making out the report now. We haven’t quite decided if he committed suicide or died trying to escape.
c) I’ll forgive you this time, but I’ll be in tomorrow night with a breathtaking blonde, and it will make me very happy if she loses.
e) I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.
i) Serves me right for not being musical.
f) Love, it seems, has triumphed over virtue.
g) Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects.


~~

Friday means Random 10!

Days Elvis Costello
Money Don’t Matter 2 Night Prince
Dry County The B-52’s
Long Ago (And Far Away) Jo Stafford
Picture This Blondie
Frank’s Wild Years Tom Waits
My Old Man Ian Dury
Dancing to the Bagpipe Le Mystere de Voix Bulgares
The Love I Saw In You Was Just a Mirage Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
I Love The Sound of Breaking Glass Nick Lowe

You can't go too far wrong if The One True Living Elvis, Our Tom and The Purple One are all going to show up in a Random 10. Ian Dury's song for his dad is a great piece of sentimental stuff from a usually cynical fellow. Jo Stafford shows up to sing a song that isn't from the Rock 'n' Roll era, a lovely Jerome Kern show tune. There's also a tune from a Euro dance club remix of a Bulgarian female vocal choir, which I think qualifies for most obscure on this list. Strong finish with Smokey and Nick.

This is a Stuart Smalley approved list. It's good enough, it's random enough and, gosh darn it, people like it.

4 comments:

CDP said...

I'm not even going to try on the quiz; I haven't seen Casablanca often enough. And that's a rare Random 10 that doesn't include Nina Simone!

dguzman said...

Ditto re the movie quiz, and I'll add that any list containing a Jerome Kern tune gets a thumbs-up from Niblet.

Karlacita! said...

I've never seen Casablanca! Egads!

Never much of a Bogart fan.

Matty Boy said...

Egads, indeed. I have obviously misjudged my audience's interest. This is certainly a problem with this type of quiz, if absolutely NOBODY has seen the film. If I get no answers by Monday, I will put up the order and head back to the drawing board.