Thursday, August 21, 2008

Giantesses in videos. UPDATED

As I wrote in a previous post, there have been movies this decade with cameo appearances by giant women, but over the past twenty years or so, the most common use of giantesses or shrunken men in mainstream media have been in commercials and music videos, which are really the same thing when you get down to it. Here's my Top Five list, from worst to first.

Number 5.

1994. Love Is Strong The Rolling Stones. I'm not that keen on this song, but the video has scenes of giant old geezers playing a tune while wandering around a New York City that is the home to giant hot young women. This song suffers from what my friend The Curator calls the penalty of Too Many Men On The Field.


Number 4.

1999. Miserable Lit. Again, I'm not in love with the song, but it does have a giant Pam Anderson letting the band wander around on her body, and she eats them at the end. Some of My People are really into the idea of being eaten alive, and this sub genre is called Vore. Others really like the idea of being crushed underfoot. Neither of these options is particularly appealing to me, but who am I to judge?

Oh, yeah, that's right, I'm Matty Boy, arbiter and 'splainer! I judge stuff on my blog all the time!

The special effects in this video are pretty good. It's hard to maintain the illusion of size difference with a moving camera, but that's what is done in a lot of the shots here. Like the Rolling Stones tune, this is here because of the video. The song I can take or leave.



Number 3.

1991 Do You Feel Like I Feel? Belinda Carlisle. Here's a video from the ex-Go Go's lead singer where she plays the giantess. Usually, the giant women in videos are hot chicks being exploited by the bands and/or record labels, but Belinda decided to go for it herself.

Belinda's post Go-Go career was heavy on the synth pop sound, and I like a tune like Vacation or We Got The Beat better than this, but this one does make the cut and ends up in third place.

Number 2.

2000 So Fresh, So Clean OutKast.


This is the only tune I own a copy of on this list. Unlike the other videos, the giant woman angle is only part of the story, a dream sequence of a giantess on a spaceship.











Number 1.

1998 She Will Have Her Way Neil Finn. This song and video by the songwriter from Split Enz and Crowded House uses footage from two of the classic (though not good) Giant Woman Movies of the 1950's, The Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman and The Thirty Foot Bride of Candy Rock. The second film starred Lou Costello without Bud Abbott. This video has more gentle giantess stuff, which is the stuff Matty Boy likes. Also, the tune is nice and catchy, so it gets the top position on this top five list.

Update: several of My People have stopped by to comment and mention other videos as well. There is a good one with Kylie Minogue which I mentioned last year, but of all the nominees, there is one I will add here as a bonus track.


Bonus track: I Love You (But I Don't Like You) Right Said Fred
The biggest hit from Right Said Fred was I'm Too Sexy, but the British band did keep recording, and their record company had enough money to put together videos with some production values, hoping the lads might capture lightning in a bottle again. The tune is nice enough, and I love the break when we have a chorus of whistlers carrying the tune. The model who plays the troublesome giantess is very pretty with a lovely smile and the interaction is nice and playful. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but this is one of my favorites and it was just an oversight that I didn't put in on the original list.




There have been other giantess videos since this time, but I don't watch MTV and VH-1 that much any more, so I haven't kept up.

Not watching videos? Could this be a sign that Matty Boy is finally growing up?

Oh, please, hypothetical question asker. I think it's pretty obvious that I have merely moved on to other ways of being immature.

10 comments:

trinket999 said...

Matty Boy, if I may add to your list, this is my personal favourite (and probably too recent for you to have kept up with).

Kylie Minogue's Giving You Up.

Thanks for introducing me to Belinda Carlisle's and Outkast's videos.

- One of Your People

Matty Boy said...

Hi, Trinket. Excellent choice. I spotlighted Ms. Minogue's video by itself back last year.

http://lotsasplainin.blogspot.com/2007/12/kylie-minogue-obe.html

Anonymous said...

Also another one of my all time favorites is "Soaked" by Killjoys. Awesome back in it's day and still high on my list.

Anonymous said...

Oh that anonymous person was me, Shrunk_DC....stupid Google thing's not working for me...

Matty Boy said...

Thanks, Shrunk. I hadn't seen that one before. She's cute, but kind of mean for my tastes.

Anonymous said...

I kinda like this one because of the playfulness: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23l8e_right-said-fred-i-love-you-but-i-do_music

And one of my favorite songs from the 80s also has a very cool giantess video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gW6WcwNirk

Packed with 80s goodness such as random visual effects and "storyline", I like it because it isn't blatant.

trinket999 said...

Wow, there are a lot more of these than I thought. Surely there must be more of Your People out there in Hollywood.

I can't decide what I like more about Go West's video, the very brief giantess scene or the lead singer's convulsive 80's dancing.

trinket999 said...

Sorry, I meant to say "Surely there must be more of Your People out there in Hollywood than everyone would care to admit."

Matty Boy said...

Trinket, they are Our People! It's okay to feel inclusive!

Thanks to anonymous for mentioning Go West, who loved piling in as many 80's visual cliches as possible into their videos. There's also some giantess content in their tune "The King of Wishful Thinking".

I should have added the Right Said Fred tune to the list. The woman is prettier than Pam Anderson because she is less plastic, and I like her attitude and the attitude of the band.

trinket999 said...

Our People! Our People!