Thursday, September 11, 2008

I wish I'd written that.


I don't drink beer that often. I prefer red wine. But for a not too expensive evening out with friends, I'm always happy to go to some local brewpub. For much of the past twenty years, I lived in the East Bay Area of San Francisco, either in or near Hayward, and so my "local" was Buffalo Bill's on B Street. They have many beers on tap, some seasonal, some year round, mostly their own stuff but also beers from other breweries. This is not the place to go to get a Bud or a Pabst Blue Ribbon, but if you go into a brewpub, that's a given.

I often still have a glass of red wine at brewpubs, but I have tried many of beers and ales from Bill's. Tasmanian Devil is their "knock you on your butt" drink, the highest alcohol content at around 7%, and it is what I order most often. But I do have a soft spot for one of their original beers, Alimony Ale, billed as "The bitterest brew in America". Those who like the bitter flavor actually dispute this moniker, but the name is very clever, and I love the tagline: "It's irreconcilably different."


But for in your face marketing, it's hard to top Arrogant Bastard Ale, brewed by the Stone Brewing Company out of Escondido, California. And when it comes to taglines, well...

I wish I'd written that.

4 comments:

dguzman said...

But you're not an arrogant bastard, honey.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love Arrogant Bastard.

Matty Boy said...

Well, dg, I'm not paying any alimony, either, but it doesn't stop me from lifting a pint now and then.

CDP said...

That is awesome. Just awesome.