Friday, October 10, 2008

Aggressive panhandling done right

One of my three current jobs is at Berkeley City College. I get off at the Downtown Berkeley BART station, a convenient half block away from work, in the middle of an area full of panhandlers. This Monday, a young, able-bodied white kid, hair in dreadlocks and a sleeping bag draped over his shoulder to keep off the slight chill in the air, held a hand written sign with this easy to understand message.

I did not pay him, but I did appreciate the directness of his approach.

8 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

That kid has some moxie I tell ya.

Jess Wundrun said...

sounds like an AIG exec in training.

CDP said...

I KNEW someone would beat me to it...I was going to ask if it was Hank Paulson.

Matty Boy said...

It did feel like deja vu all over again, but this time with a personal touch.

dguzman said...

Isn't that what the guy in Goodfellas says? This kid's so derivative; I'm glad you didn't pay him.

namastenancy said...

Sounds like what Wall Street and its minions have been saying for years - minus the street cred, of course.

FranIAm said...

Hey I have (at long last) a job interview on Tuesday... I think I will make a button out of that and wear it.

Matty Boy said...

dg, it's derivative but with a twist, which makes it more fun.

Nancy, it's very Wall Street, or gangsta, or hospital bill-ish, or mortgage banker-ish. It's the tast sensation that's sweeping the nation!

Fran... I'd wait for the second interview to wear the button, but that's just me.