This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday non-random 1 for 10/31

Earlier this week, I got a song stuck in my head. I have no idea where I heard it recently. It probably just bubbled up from the jillion songs I have in my head, like everybody else.

In my head, it sounded pretty good, so I went to iTunes, listened to 15 seconds of it for real, plunked down my 99 internet cents and downloaded it.

The song is Come and Get Your Love by Redbone.


The song sounds like it could be a Philly soul classic from the stable of Gamble and Huff, but Redbone weren't black guys from Philly. They were founded by Pat and Lolly Vasquez, two brothers who were mixed blood Hispanic and Native American. The name Redbone is the Cajun term for mixed blood Native American.

Whatever their origins, there is no denying that they created a perfect pop song with their biggest hit. Hook after hook are layered on top of a fantastic funk foundation of powerful drums and a spanking bass. There's even the musical forensic evidence that the song is from the early 1970's, a pattern that I first learned from Padre Mickey. Studios went from 8 track to 16 or 24 track during that era, and producers everywhere saw all those empty tracks when recording some pop songs and decided, "Hey! Let's add some strings!"

Without further ado, let me trot out my best Casey Kasem impersonation and say...

From 1974, here's Redbone with their number 5 national hit, Come and Get Your Love.

4 comments:

dguzman said...

This was the only Redbone song I could ever tolerate.

namastenancy said...

What a great song - so upbeat for a rainy day. I loved that song back in the day.

Padre Mickey said...

I loves that fake sitar. What kind of Indians were they? heheheheheh





Hey, the word verification is spodog, which sounds nasty. . .

Matty Boy said...

If they were those kind of Indians, they would have had a big dancing production number with some impossibly lovely actress, like in Om Shanti Om.