This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday non-random 1

I was born by the river, in a little tent,
And just like that river, I've been runnin' every since.

I don't usually link songs to moments in my life. Some people remember the song playing when they met their first sweetheart and such, but that isn't me. There is one notable exception.

I was riding in a car with some people I knew a little bit when the DJ reported that Sam Cooke was dead. The DJ then played this record, A Change Is Gonna Come, which Sam Cooke wrote as well as performed, the first time I ever heard it. I wept uncontrollably in front of these almost strangers.


Without further ado, Mr. Sam Cooke and his posthumous hit, A Change Is Gonna Come.



Oh, yes it will.

6 comments:

Splotchy said...

This song affects me really strongly whenever I hear it.

It's one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard.

Sam's Neph said...

I provide lotsa 'splainin', especially why, to some, Sam Cooke was worth more dead than alive.

Though his loss still pains us all, his genius continues to shine through.

Erik Greene
Author, “Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective”
www.OurUncleSam.com

CDP said...

Oh, I love that song.

namastenancy said...

That's one powerful song which still has the power to move all of us who hope for positive change. It's pretty amazing when you think about it that Sam Cooke's music remains so powerful and current.

dguzman said...

Nicely done, Matty Boy.

Matty Boy said...

It is a terrific song, and if it has a sad and beautiful undertone, there's some hope at the end, and I hope it's what we will have when this thing ends a few weeks from now.

Keep working.