This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I like bike nerds, too.


My bike was being cranky. The derailleur cable was frayed and no longer could go anywhere except the middle gear, the front disc brake wasn't working, and there were lots of creaks and squeaks.

I took it to Fruitvale Bike Station, the storefront pictured here in the lower
left of the picture, conveniently located near the Fruitvale BART station, pictured in the upper right.

They fixed my bike. I no longer have a 7-speed bike, but a 21-speed bike as advertised. The creaks and squeaks are gone and though the guy at the shop said he didn't see anything on the work order about the disk brake, that works, too. Unlike other bike shops I've gone to locally, they gave me same day service, in by 9:00 and out by 4:00.

Yay, honest and competent mechanics! Whether you have a bike or a car, having someone you trust fix it when things are messed up is a great joy in modern life.

If you are a bike rider anywhere in the Bay Area living near the BART lines, give Fruitvale Bike Station a try. Tell them Matty Boy sent you, and they will give you a puzzled look and ask "Who the hell is Matty Boy?"

6 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

Any local shop that does good work can really take the stress out of things going wrong. I love going to our local bike shop. The owner is also a bike dealer. When I go in there and see all those shiny new fancy bikes, it takes me back to being a little kid.

The weather here in Fla is starting to cool down which makes for nice bike weather.

dguzman said...

Sweet! Now if only I lived in San Francisco! And if only I had a bike!

dangit.

Undersquid said...

My last bike got swept away by hurricane Andrew back in the 90's.

This entry made me miss it. I should start poking around for my next bike.

Matty Boy said...

If your neighborhood is bike friendly, I definitely recommend having one right now.

DCup said...

I would love to live in town, near work so I could walk or ride my bike. The long commute is the pits.

Matty Boy said...

D-Cup, could you even ride a bike to the store or other errands? Every little bit helps.