This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Random 10, Friday 10/24


Running Out of Angels Elvis Costello
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park Tom Lehrer
The Look of Love Dusty Springfield
Groaning the Blues Eric Clapton
Hang On St. Christopher Tom Waits
Pulling Mussels From a Shell Squeeze
A Matter of Time Los Lobos
Night Train James Brown
Caro Mio Ben (Giordani) Cecilia Bartoli
Moon Country Hoagy Carmichael and his Orchestra

We have YouTube for eight out of ten this week. All that's missing is an obscure demo from an extended play track on Rykodisc's re-mastering of the Elvis Costello albums and an old Hoagy Carmichael song that hasn't been put up on the giant library. We have live performances from the idol of my youth Tom Lehrer, and the idol of my adulthood Tom Waits. Also playing live are Squeeze, Los Lobos and Cecilia Bartoli. Ms. Bartoli has the unenviable task of coming on stage after James Brown, but she is singing possibly the prettiest song ever written for a mezzo soprano. I'm not in love with her performance here; too much mugging and not enough projection. The microphone was not placed in the best location, but it's her job to be heard everywhere in such a setting.

There are some record collectors (a.k.a. vinylheads) who think The Look of Love is the epitome of the recording art. I wouldn't go that far, but I do love me some Dusty Springfield.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

PseudoPiskie said...

Uh oh. Gotta find my Tom Lehrer and upload it.