This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Redemption: Mad Men Season 2 finale


(Warning: minor plot plots discussed.)

Earlier this month, I wrote a review expressing disappointment with the direction that Mad Men season 2 was taking.

The 13th and final episode aired last night, and I'm no longer wearing the cranky pants.

I wanted more stuff about the ad business. In episode 12, Peggy, played by Elizabeth Moss and pictured here running a meeting, lands the Popsicle account with a great idea. I wanted the historical accuracy to be more than just good costume and set design. The season finale is set during the Cuban missile crisis. A lot of plots and subplots came together in episode 13, and while many are resolved, there are changes in the situation at both the Sterling Cooper ad agency and the Draper household that promise for interesting conflicts and conflict resolutions in the third season, if AMC can afford it.

Congratulations to series creator Matthew Weiner for writing and directing a great last episode to Season 2. As is true with these series that are only thirteen episodes long, now the long wait for the next season begins.

3 comments:

namastenancy said...

I was completely exhausted about Open Studios but I was impressed and plan to watch it again. The layers of meaning were amazing and the guy who plays Don just nailed every scene he was in. Goodman has a good recap in today's Chron.

Jess Wundrun said...

I think Duck Phillips stole the show. His temper tantrum at the end was fabulous. But we were left wondering what the hell happened to him.

We had to rewind a couple of times to make sure that it wasn't Duck in the office with the shotgun in a very brief scene. It was Pete.

I wish they could make a 26 show run of this. Oh well.

Matty Boy said...

I agree about Duck. You knew when he started drinking, something bad would happen. I think it was very subtle but very powerful his meltdown in the meeting.

Usually on shows that have drunks fall off the wagon, it's pretty spectacular and overblown. I think Weiner did a better job with this than the Chris Moltisanti story on The Sopranos, and that's saying something.