Saturday, November 29, 2008

Decisions made by adults with money.


I saw this album cover over at Padre Mickey's Dance Party and I was shocked and amazed. What exactly was this and where did it come from? Why did an adult with money decide to record this album, put this cover on the album and give it the title Colonel Sanders' Tijuana Picnic? Does that family and that setting scream out TIJUANA to you? No, I didn't think so.

Seriously... wtf?

The album is filled with covers of songs recorded by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, but no artists are actually named on the liner notes, so you can bet your bottom dollar this is a bunch of off-brand Herb Alpert wannabes.

Yes, there are liner notes! And we are supposed to believe that Colonel Sanders wrote them! Apparently, the Colonel likes the music, but he likes Kentucky Fried Chicken a whole lot more, and he hopes you do, too.

We live in a world of cross-fertilization and product placement in video games and tv shows made about characters from insurance commercials, but this is what our monstrous dystopia looked like in its infancy, and it's miracle it didn't die then and there.

5 comments:

namastenancy said...

This is probably right up there with Shatner's more infamous albums and other, one of a kind disasters - but I bet that you could make a mint if you sold it on eBay. There are always collectors for this type of stuff.

Padre Mickey said...

As you are well aware, these are the kinds of phonograph records for which I live.
I've always wondered what a recording session for Muzak was like; did the musicians joke around and play Trivial Pursuit like we did, or did they come in, say "You want me to do what? Got anything to help me stay awake?" and then do their part in one take? Or did they discuss how to make the music even more boring?

You know the session for Tijuana Picnic were Killah!

dguzman said...

I... I just... I'm speechless.

Karen Zipdrive said...

My idea of a Tijuana picnic is a bottle of Jose Cuervo and a lit joint behind a warehouse on some Mexican side street.
Or so I have read.

Besides, the idea of eating any kind of chicken in Tijuana is just not appealing.

Cassandra said...

I have a bet going with my partner that I can find a copy of this album in an Op shop... we're in Australia.. so it's a hard ask.. but I'm determined :D