Friday, November 21, 2008

Random 10, Friday 11/21


With a Girl Like You The Rutles
Rockin’ Chair Hoagy Carmichael & His Orchestra
Angel from Montgomery Bonnie Raitt
The Needle and the Damage (Live) Neil Young
Under Your Spell Amber Benson
Don’t Let Me Get Me Pink
Fool That I Am Etta James
Prashanti Ravi Shankar & Philip Glass
Hard Time Killing Floor Blues Chris Thomas King
Smut Tom Lehrer

This is another example of hitting to all fields. Quite a wide selection, though everything is from the 20th or 21st Century. Only thing missing is a piece from the album Passages, the great collaboration between Ravi Shankar and Philip Glass.

We start with the parody of the Beatles and end with the vile mocking of everything that is good and decent by my personal hero Tom Lehrer. Did I already mention that he's a mathematician by training? If I haven't before, I am glad to do it now.

I broke one of my "rules" and put in a more recent recording of Hoagy Carmichael playing his tune Rockin' Chair. I chose the shortened version of Chris Thomas King's tune from the scene in O Brother Where Art Thou, with the main actors listening to the song by the fire. Etta James showed up last week, but The You Tubes didn't have that song; it's got this one. I know dguzman will be happy to see the Buffy soundtrack tune in the middle.

Click on a link and enjoy yourself.

3 comments:

dguzman said...

Oooooh Tara! Thanks, Matty Boy!

namastenancy said...

I'm glad to see that you have such an eclectic taste in music - great minds often do!

Undersquid said...

I've wondered a few times how you choose the ten songs, and I figured the answer would be in the first "Random 10" post. I was correct.

I love me some Etta James.