Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Making an honest buck: myth or legend?


I found this image while Googling the word "Comcast", not "Comcast sucks" or "I hate Comcast" or anything fancy.

The person who made this hates Comcast as an internet provider. I only have them as a cable provider, and when my six month special expires, I'll probably get rid of that.

Will you switch over to the other cable TV provider in your area, Matty Boy?

Oh, hypothetical question asker. Sometimes you are such a scamp.

Last week, I got two recorded phone calls from Comcast. I was supposed to call an 800 number to get important information about my account. This was not a sales call.

Okay, I'm a sucker. I'll bite. I called the number and got another recording. Did I want English or Spanish? Was this a business or a home? After answering their non-hypothetical questions, this non sales call becomes... an ad for the De La Hoya fight this weekend. Only $54.95 or whatever ridiculous price they were charging.

If they are going to make robot calls, why not have the ad on the call itself instead of making the customer call a number to listen to an ad? I'm assuming this tactic works sometimes or Comcast wouldn't do it, but I have a hard time imagining the person this method works on.

Then again, I have a hard time imagining the people who becomes Mormons just because two nicely dressed young men knock on their door one afternoon, and I'm certain those people exist.

9 comments:

CDP said...

I hate Comcast, but my only alternative here is Verizon and they're no better.

dguzman said...

That's why I don't have TV. I refuse to give them money. I miss it sometimes, but I can still watch stuff on the yootoobs.

Matty Boy said...

CDP: Two cable options! Amazing! But they both run their business model identically, so it's about as much competition as the oil companies show.

dg: Sure. You can watch an adorable bun-bun, so that makes TV less compelling.

Karen Zipdrive said...

Besides, you could have called me before the De la Hoya fight and I would have told you poor Oscar was gonna get his brains beaten out by Paquio.
:)

ComcastCares1 said...

Thanks for the feedback! I will make sure that it is forwarded to the appropriate department.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.

Karlacita! said...

Hi guys, I like Comcast for phone and interwebs (very fast and reliable here), but I don't need TV anymore because I gots HULU!!!!

Also, ABC and CBS offer free episodes (now if only they'd get some good shows!)

Undersquid said...

I go to Hulu for my Bones, Life, The Simpsons, Heroes, and other fun stuff, and I can half watch and half do something else on the computer at the same time.

And for the stuff Hulu doesn't have, I go to Surf The Channel. They have Dexter. Gotta watch my favorite fictional serial killer.

Oh yeah, I hate TV too. :D

Matty Boy said...

It was nice of some guy from Comcast to stop by the blog, but I'm still getting these "please call Comcast, not a sales call" calls, and it can't be for the De La Hoya fight, because that is long gone, and I have no interest in calling again to find out what they want to sell me this time.

siflsockpuppet said...

I got the Comcast automated call about a dozen times. I called back once and they had no idea why. I am on the phone as I type this. Apparently some other account has my phone number, and their payment is overdue. Whether they had my number before me (I've had it 2.5 years) or whether they gave a bogus phone number, I don't know, but this CS rep says she cannot take my number off the other account. I'm waiting to speak with a manager.