Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Justice, slightly delayed


It comes two weeks after the fact, but Johannes Mehserle, the transit cop who shot Oscar Grant III in the back when Grant was lying face down with his hands behind him, has been charged with murder and arrested in Nevada. Mehserle is not fighting extradition.

There is a protest currently taking place in Oakland, but I've only seen one helicopter in the air and police sirens are not any more prevalent than on a usual night in Oakland. I don't expect this to be a repeat of the trial of cops accused of beating Rodney King, partly because Oscar Grant was not merely beaten but killed when he had surrendered and was defenseless, and partly because Oakland is not Los Angeles.

That said, I have been wrong before. I don't look forward to being in Oakland if I'm wrong this time.

5 comments:

dguzman said...

Holy crap. I hope for justice.

CDP said...

I hope that justice prevails.

namastenancy said...

There was more mayhem last night - what a ghastly mess. So many broken lives, so much pain and suffering.

sfmike said...

The defense is already talking about taking the case to another county where the general population might be a little more sympathetic to a poor white cop under stress killing a black thug who probably deserved it. Remember Simi Valley where the Rodney King case was decided? As far as I'm concerned, the cop deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail but don't count on that happening, so yes, batten down the hatches when the verdict does come down.

Matty Boy said...

I hope you're wrong, Mike, but I wouldn't take a bet on it, unfortunately.