Friday, January 23, 2009

Look Around You



As I have mentioned before, I have become one of the least loyal TV watchers on the planet over the past few years. There are only two shows I make time for whenever there's a new episode, and both those shows, Mad Men and The Venture Brothers, are currently between seasons. I have some hopes for Joss Whedon's new show Dollhouse and the NBC drama Kings, both of which will start soon, but who knows how long I will stay with them.

Right now, Adult Swim, which is the name given to the Cartoon Network shows that air from about 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., has started airing a BBC import called Look Around You. The shows are only nine minutes long, but that isn't a problem for Adult Swim, which has several shows that fill fifteen minute slots, usually eleven minutes of show and four minutes of commercials.

Look Around You is a science program, done in a cheesy 1980s production style, though the programs were actually made this decade. It's reminiscent of the kind of film strips we watched in class way back in the 1960s. The only difference (or is it a difference?) is that almost everything they tell you on Look Around You is wrong.

I watched the first two episodes last week, and I will make time to see the next two this week, even though it means getting up at some ungodly hour. I have embedded an episode about water, which is available on The You Tubes. If you like it, you should try others. I find it wonderfully silly. Your mileage may vary.


10 comments:

Lisa said...

That looks like a hoot. I've noticed that our kids are watching the PJs on Adult Swim. Hmmm. Maybe we should pay a little more attention to what our kids are watching........(anything but Hannah Montana!)

FranIAm said...

Oh that was fun, I liked it.

My 12 yo has yet to find Adult Swim, but she shall.

Anything to get Hannah Montana and iCarly off the tv will be fine by me.

Thanks Matty!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I fell in love with this show when they ran the second series on BBC America. The second series rocks hard.

Matty Boy said...

Adult Swim is a VERY mixed bag, especially the 15 minute long shows. I've become more fond of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, the big hit of the fifteen minute long shows, as time has gone by, but some of the shorter shows, like Squidbillies, 12 Oz. Mouse and Tom Goes to the Mayor are truly awful experiences on every conceivable level.

Adult Swim aired another intentionally cheesy British show called Darth Marenghi's Darkplace for awhile, but the show only had six episodes total, and they only showed them twice each.

Tara Mobley said...

That was lovely. I'll have to watch more of those.

Padre Mickey said...

Yeah, thanks for putting that up, Matty Boy; the Lovely Mona and I were in hysterics. We really appreciate it, as we're not going to see anything like that on t.v. here.

dguzman said...

You're right about the production values--pure cheesy old-skool genius in every frame. When the ants started building the igloo, I thought I was gonna pee myself.

Definitely gonna have to use "maflipulate" in conversation as much as possible.

Matty Boy said...

Hey, dg, I liked the bit in the episode about water where the narrator says that something is unknown and makes the analogy "For instance, what are birds? No one knows."

I saw two more episodes this morning at 5 a.m., one about Germs (which come from Germany, as you already know) and one about Ghosts. Next week, it's Reggae!

I've also figured something out. Anytime there's an experiment, someone will be put in extreme physical pain, but in a humorous way. Or I laughed at least.

Splotchy said...

This was great! I really need to check out Adult Swim. There are a couple other shows that I have seen clips of that I like.

Ed said...

I loved the guy putting his hand in boiling water. His hand got redder each time and by the end he was wearing a glove. What a hoot!

WV = shable. "Put the horshe in the shable and get me another drink! Hic!"