Sunday, January 4, 2009

One of my heroes and... One of My People?

I have been a fan of Elvis Costello for a very long time, ever since I heard one of his albums, probably Armed Forces, while visiting my sisters Karlcita! and Jenny in Southern California way back in the late 1970s. He now has a show on Sundance Channel called Spectacle, where he interviews people about music and plays music with them. Among his guests in the first season are Sir Elton John (also the producer), Tony Bennett, Bill Clinton, Lou Reed, The Police and Norah Jones. I'm not paying for premium cable right now, so I haven't seen it, but it definitely sounds interesting.

Elvis has written about a jillion songs, and I have heard at least three quarters of a jillion of them, and I've noticed a recurring theme in his lyrics.

Giant women and/or tiny men.

Gosh, why would you notice that, Matty Boy?

Hypothetical question asker, don't be a scamp.

So I talked to my collage artist blog buddies Undersquid and Trinket999, presented them the lyrics and asked them to come up with collages, either work they had previously done or seen, that would fit the lyrics. In two cases, each of my talented artistic pals actually created a new collage for this project, completely out of the goodness of their hearts, just because I asked them to do stuff and didn't pay them.

I mean, how cool is that?

So here are some lyrics of Elvis Costello, matched with collages created by some of the most talented and generous of My People.

He's coming home now and here's the surprise,
You wouldn't believe the lies that he tries,
She cuts him down to his favorite size,
She pads, paws, pads, paws and claws.
Song: Pad, Paws and Claws
Collage artist: TheShrinkee, whose work was introduced to me by Undersquid.


Georgie grew to hate her name, it sounded like a tiny man,
The one she had told I can't see you, but I'll call you whenever I can.
Song: Georgie and Her Rival
Collage artist: Undersquid

He's trapped in his own parallel dimension,
That's why I'm so forgiving,
But how can I possibly forget to mention those fifty foot women
Who put the fascination back into my science fiction twin?
Song: My Science Fiction Twin
Collage artist: Trinket999 (original work first published here)

I thought I would go to the sea and shrink down very tiny,
And slide into the telephone wire that runs under the briny.
Song: Crawling to the U.S.A.
Collage artist: Undersquid (original work first published here)

So there is some artwork exploring the possible gigantic interests of Declan Patrick McManus, known to the world as Elvis Costello, consummate songwriter and who knows, maybe one of My People, spreading the word of Our Agenda.

9 comments:

FranIAm said...

Despite my absence of late, it is posts like this that welcome me back and keep your blog on my mind, even when I am away.

Although I always do rue being a 5' tall woman... *Deep sigh*

trinket999 said...

Hi Matty Boy!

Thanks for featuring me on your blog. I think this post worked out very well. :D

I also had no idea there was a thriving collaging community on flickr, which I only found out from by following the link provided to TheShrinkee's collage, so thanks to both you and Undersquid for pointing that out.

Brilliant new work too, Undersquid!

Skybar99 said...

Hi Matty Boy!
I love your blog--just happened upon it. Your comments about Elvis are right on the money--it's funny about all those tiny men and giant women! But don't forget the lipstick--it seems like lipstick shows up in almost every song. However, I don't mean to belittle Elvis' songwriting ability--he really is kind of a giant super-genius who doesn't get nearly enough acclaim for all he has accomplished. By the way--you've got to get cable. Spectacle is amazing.

The collages are wonderful! Thanks for posting them. I'm writing because in a somewhat odd coincidence I am also a collage artist of sorts, and have made an Elvis collage--also based on various song lyrics. I even included the tiny man! It's a long story--part of my midlife crisis. Here's a link:

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj475/skybar99/ElvisCostello.jpg

Hope you decide to have a look and if so, I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to post it to your blog if you like it.

A word of explanation about my art--I make religious (or possibly irreligious) icons, using mixed media, featuring people I consider my own personal Saints. I am, by the way, an Atheist, but I do love religious art.

Best regards,

Sybar99

Matty Boy said...

FranIAm - Nice to see you in the comments again, though I feel a little shy about becoming the public face of My People and Our Agenda.

On that note, one of My People told me that if you Google "My People and Our Agenda", the number 1 place to go on the 'Net is... well, I think you can guess.

Trinket999 - I'm very happy with this post as well. All the collages are A number 1 tip-top in my book, and I appreciate the work you folks put in on my suggestion, which included no cash remuneration.

Sybar99 - Thanks for stopping by. I like your use of iconography in the artwork. I wish I could afford cable, but it's not an option right now.

CDP said...

I'm a big Elvis Costello fan, but I'd never noticed the frequent allusions to giant women and tiny men. But of course, I wouldn't have, not being one of Your People.

Undersquid said...

I caught some excerpts of Spectacle on the YouTube, and I have to say that watching Mr. Costello jam with The Police gave me good chills. To watch them live must be unforgettable. I'll make sure to catch the show online, when I can find full episodes.

Thank you as well MattyBoy, for posting my stuff here in today's blog entry.

Trinket, thank you and that's a great new collage! I'm very fond of fake ads, and yours always hit the spot. That sign next to the saloon cracks me up to no end!

sfmike said...

You're just like the homos who think everybody famous is gay. They often are, of course, but then again they often are not.

LOVE the original artwork and it's enough to convince me that The Second Elvis is One of Your People.

Matty Boy said...

Well, mike, not everybody who is famous is gay. Just the ones in show business and the Republican Party.

My People are much, much rarer, and I have to admit, my radar isn't perfectly tuned.

Undersquid said...

Despite the fact that Our People are rare, and My Gender among them is even rarer, I still keep hoping fruitlessly that Reese Witherspoon or Meryl Street or J.K. Rowling- heck, I'll even take Sarah Palin admitting to a compulsive inclination for fictionally tiny men.