Friday, January 2, 2009

Random 10, 1/2


Sing It Way Down Low Hoagy Carmichael
Orgullecida Buena Vista Social Club
If I Had My Way The Mills Brothers
Shine Django Reinhardt
Bird Dog The Everly Brothers
Groove Is In The Heart Deee-Lite
How She Moves Joshua Macrae
The Fall Of Troy Tom Waits
Crazy Feet Fred Astaire
Miracle Man Elvis Costello


So Mr. Random DJ in my iTunes took a look at the clock on the wall when these songs played and decided to keep it on the smooth side as not to wake the neighbors. Artists from the rock and roll era are about half the songs here, and the other half is from the earlier part of the 20th Century. Even Tom Waits, who can get very noisy, is singing a quiet acoustic song from the soundtrack of Dead Man Walking. The song from the Buena Vista Social Club is sung by Compay Segundo, which is the guy's nickname and translates to Buddy Second. The most obscure artist on the list is my nephew Joshua Macrae. Dee-Lite recorded many cool tunes, but just because Bootsy Collins played bass on this one, I think it's the coolest. My favorite story from these tunes is one Elvis tells about Miracle Man, a song he wrote before he had a recording contract and he was just a wannabe. Elvis says that when he first became famous, his life changed in very weird ways, and it started resembling songs that were just works of imagination. When he wrote the lyric "She's got a ten-inch bamboo cigarette holder and black patent leather gloves", he didn't know anyone who dressed like that, but within months of that song being recorded, he knew people who dressed exactly like that.

Careful what you wish for.

1 comment:

Undersquid said...

I love my copy of that Buena Vista Social Club cd. That Deee-Lite song has always made me want to stab my ears with a q-tip, but it's certainly not the worst music I've ever heard.

Fred Astaire has always fascinated me, as he's always seemed to be one of the two people in the world who developed the ability to fly.