Friday, January 23, 2009

Random 10, 1/23


Cult of Personality Living Colour
Caroline Kirsty MacColl
So Long, Mom Tom Lehrer
Hooray for Love Ella Fitzgerald
Semaphore Signals Wreckless Eric
Eloise (Hang On In There) William Bell
Brandenburg Concerto #1, Adagio (J.S. Bach) Neues Bachishes Collegium Musicum
Strange Ones Supergrass
Jesus Gonna Be Here Tom Waits
Washboard Blues Hoagy Carmichael

The Random DJ on my computer shows a little right wing snarkiness to open the set. Living Colour's Cult of Personality included references to Stalin, Mussolini, Kennedy and Gandhi, and while the band did that to make people think, some right wingers think those people belong in the same sentence already. Then there's a song about a broken hearted woman named Caroline, apropos of today's headlines, then a song about World War III, which is going to start sometime in March or April if you listen to Fox News.

Another eight out of ten songs show up on The You Tubes, missing only Ella Fitzgerald and William Bell. As for the inevitable Padre Mickey influence, I wouldn't have known about Stiff Records except for meeting the Good Padre, so that includes Kirsty MacColl and Wreckless Eric, and he also first introduced me to Supergrass, a cheerful and cheeky British trio with obvious influences from the Beatles and the Ramones. I will say in defense of my own musical tastes before meeting Padre Mickey that I already knew about Tom Waits, so the fact that both of us place him high in the pantheon is due to us both being right thinking Americans.

7 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

How great is Wreckless Eric? Pretty damn great I tell ya.

PseudoPiskie said...

There is little similarity between my iPhone's and Padre Mickey's iPod's music. I've rarely even heard of the artists he has. You and I have some of the same "songs". I wonder what the odds are of having the same piece show up on both shuffles the same week. lol

Matty Boy said...

Hi, Pseudo. I know the Padre and I have artists show up in the same week, but I don't know if we have had the same song in the same week.

Of the songs on the list this week, I'm sure the Padre has the Tom Waits song, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has the Supergrass tune as well. He might also have the Kirsty MacColl or Wreckless Eric or the Bach, but I couldn't say for sure about those. He'd have to weigh in himself.

Lisa said...

I picked two songs from the list. Caroline and So Long Mom. Excellent!

namastenancy said...

I love the way your mind works. Bach and Hoagy Carmichael on the same list. Priceless.

Matty Boy said...

Technically, that's not "my mind" at work, just the random shuffle on my iTunes list.

FranIAm said...

Cult of Personality - loving that.