Friday, January 30, 2009

Random 10, 1/30


Just for a change of pace, I'm going to put the comments right after the songs.

Hidden Charms Elvis Costello
Written by Willie Dixon. If Willie Dixon only wrote The Seventh Son, he'd be one of the greatest blues composers ever, but he wrote. A LOT. I loves me some Willie Dixon.

Monkey's Paw Laurie Anderson
This is the quirky pixie from later in her career. If it was up on The You Tubes, you'd hear Bobby McFerrin in the background.

Chan Chan Buena Vista Social Club
Years ago, Laurie Anderson was asked at some high falutin' conference what was the future of music. "Cuban music." She answered. She's a smart little pixie.

Valse Minute (Chopin) Claudio Arrau
The You Tubes are not our friends this week. I love Claudio Arrau. He was so elegant.

Let's Get It On Marvin Gaye
If you are with that someone special, and you put some Marvin on your stereo, and you don't get some sumthin' sumthin', you have to look into the possibility this whole Sex Thing just isn't for you.

I Want You Back The Jackson 5
I will let you in on a dirty little secret of the Lotsa 'Splainin' Random 10. Sometimes the random DJ in my iTunes plays a song that was on another list recently and I skip over it. But Mr. Random could put I Want You Back on the list every week from now until eternity and I would never skip over it because the back-up band rocks. So. DAMN. Hard!

My Little Blue Window Elvis Costello
Sometimes I'll skip over an artist to avoid repeat visits in the same Random 10, but since Elvis was nice enough to record somebody else's song for a change, I thought I'd also put him on singing one of his own as well. It also has a lyric that seems very apropos in 2009.

How am I ever gonna make you see?
Nothing in this ugly world comes easily.

Please Please Me The Beatles
Before the Wonders of Science could fill an entire set list with originals, we played Please Please Me, Brian Eno's Burning Airlines Give You So Much More, and Prince's When You Were Mine. With the Beatles on the list, the picture of the girls dancing at The Cavern club seemed to fit.

Lucky Ball And Chain They Might Be Giants
Does this sound like anyone to you? Whenever I hear this song, I think of... Ricky Nelson.
And I mean that in a good way.

Change Partners Fred Astaire
Again, no help from The You Tubes. Bad You Tubes! Bad! No biscuit for you!
When I wrote about my evening at the Noir City Film Festival, I forgot to mention the organist playing The Mighty Wurlitzer before the first show. It was great and he played Change Partners! The movies are still playing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Fun for the entire family, if the family is a little dysfunctional.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm reminded that I don't listen to They Might Be Giants enough these days.

CDP said...

I love TMBG, too, and Elvis Costello. I'll have to listen to "I Want You Back"; I haven't heard it in a LONG time.

dguzman said...

I always liked Please Please Me.

Undersquid said...

Speaking of The Beatles, I hulued a hilarious Stephen Colbert "interview" of Sir Paul McCartney as a plug for his latest CD. It didn't make me want to go buy it, but now I want more Beatles music in my collection.

Fred Astaire was one of the two humans I'm aware could fly.

Matty Boy said...

dg: I like Please Please Me a lot, too. Much better than the other early singles, She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

Undersquid: Fred, Michael Jordan and Barishnikov makes three.