Friday, February 27, 2009

Random 10, 2/27


King Horse Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Lola The Kinks
The Honeymoon Song The Beatles
Your Own Worst Enemy They Might Be Giants
They Didn't Believe Me Johnny Mercer
Breaking Us In Two Joe Jackson
I'm Gonna Love You Too Blondie
Stardust Hoagy Carmichael
Margaret Madder Rose
The Big Picture The Wonders of Science

I usually have my Random 10 finished bright and early Friday morning, but I was doing other stuff, so mine got published after I went by Padre Mickey's place to catch a gander at his list.

The Padre went 10 for 10 on The You Tubes today, while I only got 6 of 10. We have some older tunes on this list, including a song sung by Johnny Mercer, but written by Jerome Kern and Herbert Reynolds in 1914 (!) for the first show Kern ever got produced on Broadway, The Girl From Utah. Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust (lyrics by Mitchell Parrish) was written in 1927. Of the stuff written in my lifetime, the Beatles cover a tune by Greek film composer Mikis Theodorakis, and the rest of the tunes are recorded by the songwriters. Elvis and Blondie both show up on Padre Mickey's Random 10 this week, what are the odds? We also have The Kinks and TMBG, always welcome here at Lotsa 'Splainin'. Nice to find Madder Rose online, they were an underappreciated band. I like the Joe Jackson song a lot, but one of the things I like about his love songs is how often he doesn't bring up a gender. Wonder why?

But after all is said and done, the featured tune of the ten is last one, because I wrote it and it's my blog. So there.

1 comment:

Padre Mickey said...

You know, that featured tune is fantastic, but its that background vocal and synth arpeggio which really put it over the top.

And the glossalia, of course!