Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Flags and them wacky internets!


Yay, Flags of Many Lands™! Yay, Grenada!

I'm sure every American remembers exactly where they were when those poor American medical students landed safely back in the U.S.A. after they were saved from certain destruction in Grenada by St. Ronald Reagan.

Or not. Whatever.


So what brings the first visitor to this humble blog from this island paradise?

Well, hypothetical question asker, it's a story from Them Wacky Internets that I don't have a complete answer to, but here's what I do know.

Last Thursday, traffic on my blog went crazy go nuts. More than twice as many people showed up last Thursday as showed up on Wednesday, and the traffic on Friday was also well above normal.

Sitemeter's entry page info showed me that people were going to a particular month's archives, which isn't that specific, of course. But the referral info was clear. Massive numbers of people from all over the world were coming to my blog looking for one particular picture from June 2007, when this blog had just started.



Last Thursday and Friday, way too many people had a burning desire to find out about tuataras. My best guess is there was some trivia contest somewhere that sent people on this chase for info about these weird little critters from the same place you find kiwis and Xena, Warrior Princess.

I have no idea if what I had on that blog post was any help to anyone, but a heck of a lot of people stopped by.

And now someone from Grenada, looking for the same stuff, only five days late.

I guess that's what they call Island Time.

3 comments:

Lockwood said...

Some news came out last week that for the first time in decades, maybe nearly a century (I didn't read it all that closely) that a tuatara had been found on the New Zealand mainland. They have formerly been thought to be restricted to a few small islands, and from what I saw, no one was really certain whether this was a swimmer or part of an extant population on the mainland. Tuataras are odd critters, frequently described as "living fossils" and dinosaurs' closest living relatives (which they're not). They also have an odd third eye socket, sometimes described as a "third eye" (which it isn't). So I suspect people had caught the news, and wanted to see what this "three-eyed dinosaur" looked like. I suspect most were a little disappointed, which is too bad; they are interesting critters.

Matty Boy said...

Thanks, Lockwood. I hadn't seen the news. My blog post actually 'splains some of this stuff, so people might not have gone away unhappy.

Dr. Zaius said...

I feel sorry for tuataras becausae they have to get custom glasses. The can't simply buy off the rack like every one else.