Friday, March 20, 2009

Great minds think alike. Not so great minds work alike... and poorly.


At a talk in Canada, George W. Bush said this about the book he will write for Random House.

"I'm going to put people in my place, so when the history of this administration is written at least there's an authoritarian voice saying exactly what happened."

Some have wondered if this was a Freudian slip, mistaking authoritative for authoritarian. It wasn't. It was just a dumb guy with a limited vocabulary trying to show off and failing.

The writers on The Sopranos had the gangsters make these kinds of mistakes a lot. Tony Soprano and Christopher Moltisanti had their share of such flubs, but some of the most memorable came from Paulie Walnuts, a character who is more or less George W. Bush's intellectual equal. When Tony tells Paulie that the guy Paulie and Christopher are trying to kill was from the Russian Interior Ministry and had killed sixteen Chechens, Paulie hangs up the phone and tells Christopher, "This guy killed sixteen Czechoslavakians. He was an interior decorator." When Tony reads The Prince and The Art of War, Paulie also makes a show of quoting "Prince Matchabelli" and "Sun Ta-Sue".

On The Sopranos, it was funnier than it was creepy. In real life, vice versa.

4 comments:

CDP said...

Ha, I LOVED that episode, and I so remember the "interior decorator" line. Yes, I agree that this was no Freudian slip...I wouldn't flatter W with the assumption that he knows the difference between "authoritative" and "authoritarian".

Zoey and Me said...

Point is, and my dinner friends last night agreed, who will buy such a book written by this ass hat?

Undersquid said...

I sink into past election disbelief every time I listen to that guy. I have no respect for anything he has to say, much less anything he'll ever try to pass as his writing.

Karen Zipdrive said...

I've heard Bush's book will come complete with 24 Binny & Smith genuine Crayolas.
I call that value added, baby.