Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Your cheap wine taste tester


Those of us who live in California now have choices when buying ridiculously cheap wine. Charles Shaw, a.k.a. Two Buck Chuck, now has a competitor in the two dollar a bottle wine market named Fox Brook, which is sold at exclusively at Lucky Supermarkets. Unlike Trader Joe's, Lucky does not have multiple good choices for wines under five dollars, and at my local store, the Fox Brook display is separated from the rest of the wines and tucked in a corner of the fruit and vegetable department. I have not heard a clever nickname for Fox Brook yet, so I'm not sure how well known or popular it is. I suggest Lucky Chuck.

I have tried several of the varietals of red of both brands and I make these recommendations, which my father agrees with. (By the way, we prefer to be called The Thrifty Thirsty instead of The Cheap Winos, if it is all the same to you.)

The best of the Charles Shaw reds is the Shiraz. The best of the Fox Brook is the Merlot.

OMG, Matty Boy, didn't you see Sideways? Don't you know you can't be serious and recommend a Merlot anymore?

Yes, hypothetical question asker, I did see Sideways, and no, I'm not that guy. I'm drinking and recommending two dollar wine, for the love of Lenny, so I think it's easy to tell us apart.

7 comments:

CDP said...

As far as I'm concerned, if it's not Thunderbird served from a paper bag, then it's classy. Or klassy. With a capital K.

jason said...

Did you know that Bronco Wine Co. is the label behind Charles Shaw? Guess who the maker of Foxbrook is? You guessed it, one Bronco Wine Co.. Wonder if they use different juice than Two Buck Chuck or if it just a different label on the same bottle. Do you have both bottles available to compare?

Matty Boy said...

CDP: There's an ad from my childhood which stuck in my head.

What's the word? Thunderbird.
What's the price? Very nice.

Jason: OMG! Have I been had? Are Two Buck Chuck and Lucky Chuck exactly the same? Is my choice of Shiraz over Merlot just me putting on airs?

Usually, I don't let hypothetical question asker in the comment section, but he has some valid points.

Padre Mickey said...

I'm guessing that Bronco Wine gots quite a kick!

FranIAm said...

Lucky? When I was lived in LA (98-00) the Lucky became Albertson's. After that it sucked.

I gave up wine for Lent.

*sigh*

Matty Boy said...

Padre: Remembering a classic episode of Los Simpsons when Bart is sent to France as an exchange student, I wonder if the kick in each bottle has something to do with the amount of anti-freeze. But then I did a little math and realized a gallon of Two Buck Chuck is much cheaper than a gallon of antifreeze, so they probably can't afford such expensive ingredients.

Fran: They have changed back and forth more than once. I patronize any supermarket chain, but I'm very happy to have a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood. For bargains and quality and unusual selections, there's no one like them.

I'm enjoying some Abrazo Del Toro wine and Tandoori Naan from TJ's as I type. Deee-lish!

FranIAm said...

Oh TJ's... the closest one to me is now about 3 hours away.

*sob*