Wednesday, April 8, 2009

As I was saying before I so rudely interrupted myself.

So as you may have noticed, I took a little time away from blogging. A week ago Monday, I put up a post, stripped the blog down to a minimum of gadgets and walked away for a while.

I've been blogging seven days a week for just over two years now, with one break because my computer crashed and another because of a short vacation down to southern California last summer. In some ways, I was wondering if I was as addicted to blogging as my students are addicted to texting and being on their cell phones. I decided to put up a gloom and doom post, not my first, and maintain something close to radio silence. I limited myself to one comment a day total on all the blogs I read regularly and waited to see if anybody noticed I was gone.


So, Matty Boy, how did the whole "Goodbye, Cruel World" experiment work out for you?

Well, hypothetical question asker, some people noticed. I got phone calls and e-mails from people asking if I was okay.

I am okay. Thanks for asking.

Nearly everyone who got in touch directly is someone I know face to face, the one exception being my blog buddy dguzman, who is moving to northern California later this year, so I expect we will have a chance for that face to face thing right soon.

But then there is the traffic on the website. Notice the massive drop-off in visitors (yellow bars) and page views (red bars) after the fateful day I decided to disappear, marked in black and blue?

No, I don't notice it either. People kept showing up whether I posted stuff or not.


So although there was no new 'splainin' for over a week, people happily kept dropping by, many to find a picture of a see through globe, my most popular picture right now of all the pictures I've ever posted, and a steady stream of visitors looking for pictures of Alice the Snorg Girl.

And, oh yeah... My People stopped by looking at the old posts that cater to Our Agenda.

So, to re-iterate. People love the globe. Folks are nuts for Alice the Snorg Girl. My People like the giant women. Extra 'splainin's? People can take them or leave them.

Whatever.

And since I'm back to blogging and it's a Wednesday, I'll put up a Wednesday Math post later this evening, about the really big numbers and really small numbers and things that can be 'splained on a human scale.

8 comments:

CDP said...

I am very glad you're OK. I noticed, and was going to email you but you took down the email address and I didn't have it saved! I'm taking a short break too.

Padre Mickey said...

I will most probably have a break in the next few weeks, as I travel to California and through California.
Todo depende on email access.

Word verification: pressic, which begins tomorrow night. Wait, that's peshac. Sorry!

trinket999 said...

Well I figured you were taking a break, since we all need to look at something other than the glare of a computer monitor from time to time, but I'm glad you're back anyway.

Undersquid said...

Having blogged before and having needed my own breaks away from the Series of Tubes, I assumed you were stepping away to use your other senses such as smell and some of those other ones we tend to use more frequently when away from the computer.

I hope you had fun! And yes, I've noticed that lack of new entries doesn't immediately affect amount of visits / views. In the past I thought it was the other way around: no new entries would be followed by a disastrous crash in number of visits.

Karlacita! said...

So, are you addicted? Do you have more understanding of your little texting pals?

I mean, it's their world - we're just living in it.

My word is pitiesto. It is the most pity you can feel while simultaneously being Italian.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I did my part by sending people to that terribly depressing post. It made me decide that we're all going to die anyway, so we might as well stop worrying about it and eat some expensive chocolate. ;-)

Cheers,
Doxy

Lisa said...

I noticed, but was sadly too wrapped up in moving and pouting because CDP is taking a short break, too, that I didn't pester you.

Have I told you how much I love that kid pic of you? Seriously. LOVE it. That expression is priceless.

Matty Boy said...

Thanks to all who posted. I am fully aware that some of you insist on living your own lives while I was being a drama queen, and you will be happy to know that I forgive you.