Sunday, April 26, 2009

Go Laney Eagles!


In the fifth round of the 2009 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected running back Frank Summers of UNLV. 5'9" tall, 245 pounds, his nickname is "Frank the Tank".

Mr. Summers spent two years at Laney College in Oakland, his hometown, before transferring to UNLV. I saw him play against community college opponents, but my general impression is that Frank the Tank likes to hit people, and often when he does, they fall down and he keeps running.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that Frank the Tank took statistics from me at Laney and he passed the class.

Best wishes to him in his future endeavors. As an NFL draftee, he has already proven that he is a high outlier, as we say in the statistics biz.

3 comments:

Zoey and Me said...

Good for the Steelers. My Redskins got a few good picks but still stuck with Campbell as quaterback, ifn you can call him that. Another dull season for us D.C. fans for sure.

Mathman6293 said...

I, too, have run across an athlete or two who passed some math classes. On the other hand I have a friend who taught Jamarcus Russell and that appears to be a different story.

Matty Boy said...

I've had a lot of athletes in my classes at many schools. Some coaches really do put pressure on their students to pass the classes. Others, not so much.